The need for scuba equipment repair techs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timmyjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just wanted to throw this out there. What is the need in the scuba industry for scuba equipment repair techs. With a degree in mechanical engineering, and years of experience in small mechanism design, fabrication and service, I'm looking to change direction. For the last decade I have been servicing Arriflex Motion Picture Cameras, but that business is drying up with so many productions going digital.

So is there a need in the dive shop end of the business for service technicians, folks to rebuild/service regulators and other dive equipment?

Thanks for any and all input.

Best,
-Tim

There's a definite need for EXPERT, HIGH QUALITY, CONSCIENTIOUS tech's.......Unfortunately LDS's won't pay them what they should......

Yes, there is. I could use a couple right now and you definitely have the mindset to be an excellent tech. It might not make you rich, but there are some side benefits. PM me if you'd like to talk.

Yes, there is. I could use a couple right now and you definitely have the mindset to be an excellent tech. It might not make you rich, but there are some side benefits. PM me if you'd like to talk.

To bad your not in Little Rock, AR. I am moving there in Jul and am looking for a Tech position.
I am factory trained in the following regs, and come with my own tools:

Aqualung
Scubapro
Oceanic
Hollis
Aeris
OTS Guardian Masks
HOG Service Tech Instructor
Edge Service Tech Instructor
Spare Air
XS Scuba
Draeger SCBA and Rebreather
PSI VIP Instructor
PSI O2 Cleaning Tech Instructor
PSI Valve technician Instructor
PSI Eddy Current Technician Instructor
PADI Divemaster
PADI TechRec Gas Blender - Trimix

Additionally, I have run two successful Hydro shops.

Myles

Just wanted to throw this out there. What is the need in the scuba industry for scuba equipment repair techs. With a degree in mechanical engineering, and years of experience in small mechanism design, fabrication and service, I'm looking to change direction. For the last decade I have been servicing Arriflex Motion Picture Cameras, but that business is drying up with so many productions going digital.

So is there a need in the dive shop end of the business for service technicians, folks to rebuild/service regulators and other dive equipment?

Thanks for any and all input.

Best,
-Tim

I think if you're interested in doing this that you should do it right and start your own business. I think that a "shared service" operation that would allow dive shops to out-source regulator servicing is something that could fly.

You can sell your services to the general public via the cloud/social-media AND to dive shops. Not only are *competent* techs needed (many are not) but there is a lot of customization and DIY work being done out there and you may very well find a viable market for publishing DIY builds for things like lights and scooters and assisting hobbyists with the realization in addition to training.

I don't know if you can make much money at it, but I would say that the niche is definitely there.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom