the navigation thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

are you diving in? I think you would be better off learning to use the compass proficiently instead of using a reel. Granted the reel has has its uses in many situations but it can not hurt to develope good compass skills.

Is it possible the boat just swung around on the anchor line?

It's better to nav from the anchor line at depth since it doesn't move around like the boat will. I've been diving in the gulf, and have watched the boat make a complete 360 around the anchor line in as little as 15 minutes.

If you went down when the boat was south of the line, and headed north, the boat could have swang around to the north side of the anchor. If you returned to the same place when you surfaced, you'd now be south of the boat. (Note: surface navigation by compass is ony good if you have a FIXED reference point on the surface - a boat on one acnhor line doesn't qualify.)

Just a suggestion...

-- DCG
:confused:

Gotta proofread better.... Hmm...:rolleyes:

I had a funny experience a few months ago. I was on a dive boat in Hawaii with 10 Japanese divers (tourists). The Captain of the boat was Chinese. The Instructor and Dive master were both Chinese. I'm of asian descent as well. We were diving a busy wreck off Oahu. Three boats were in the area. Our boat was the same color and model as one of the other boats...however our boat was an inboard engine and the other similar boat had two outboards. After diving the wreck we were enjoying our surface interval when we see a diver struggling to get on board our boat. I helped to pull him up and when he removes his mask he looks at all of the curious faces staring at him...he has this look of terror on his face and blurts out "What happened to all the white people?!?" The divers that understood what he said, just burst out laughing. One of the Japanese guys yells in a heavy accent, "You now our prisoner!"

The lost diver just stood there for it what seemed like 15 seconds with his mouth open before he looked around and saw HIS dive boat about 100 yards behind him. He was so flustered all he could do was mutter something about how he didn't mean what he said to sound like it did. He then put on his mask, spun around, and giant strides back into the water without putting his fins back on. Now he has to dog paddle back to the swim platform and ask for his fins....again apologizing over and over. You couldn't but feel sorry for the guy....but it was pretty damn funny! :D

That really was funny. Though not a diving experience, while in Desert Storm a group of medics put on their chemical protective gear in the middle of the night and woke up a fellow medic. When the sleepy one awoke one of the pranksters said loudly, " THIS ONE'S ALIVE"

Mouth Breather once bubbled...
I helped to pull him up and when he removes his mask he looks at all of the curious faces staring at him...he has this look of terror on his face and blurts out "What happened to all the white people?!?" The divers that understood what he said, just burst out laughing. One of the Japanese guys yells in a heavy accent, "You now our prisoner!" :D

That was hilarious! I notice that you seem to come down here pretty often, Mouth Breather. Next time you stop by for a visit, drop me a line if you need a buddy. You have family down here?

Yes...I go to Hawaii (usually Oahu) quite often...3 times in the last 4 months! My daughter was at UH for summer school and we usually go over for spring break and at least once or twice during the summer. I really enjoy the people there...wasn't it you that I exchanged messages with re: the "Too much aloha" problem?

I dive with folks from See in Sea (near CompUSA), South Sea Aquatics (the most incredible prices for gear almost as good as LeisurePro but has a factory warranty), Captain Bruce, and Waikiki Diving (my favorite). I'll definitely keep you in mind for a buddy when I go over again (probably in November). I want to dive the North shore before big wave season.

conditions start getting marginal around October/November up there, I believe. The North Shore at that time of year (while perhaps not impossible) probably leans towards unlikely. But if conditions are good, I would definitely recommend it.

I was just up at the North Shore this past weekend doing my AOW with pchelp (Rusty) - it was great. I hadn't done any dives on the North Shore before, as they are primarily shore diving sites and I don't have a regular buddy. Now I really need to find someone to do shore dives with on a more regular basis, as the diving up there was so nice.

There is a much greater diversity of sea life there than what I normally see on the west side. We did 3 dives at the dive site called Firehouse, which is next to Three Tables - a highlight was seeing a group of 3 blacktip reef sharks hanging out under a ledge in a cavern - spotted one of them again a few times during our night dive.

Is your daughter attending the regular session at UH?

Back
Top Bottom