the mytic 20 OW skillz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just one little point---

Remember that this is not an official product from the agency. There are actually more ways to do the skills, and it is possible to make a demonstration that is quite different and still be acceptable.

When I teach the skills, I do most of them very differently from what is shown here. There is never a time that I or any of my students are kneeling and negatively buoyant. They do all the skills in a forward learning position, supported by the air in their BCDs, a position similar to how they will do it when they actually dive.

A common mistake is to think of the way people are taught to perform a skill to meet a standard as the standard itself. Take hovering, for example. The standard says the student must hover in place for 30 seconds without using hands or feet, but it does not say how the student gets into that position. Some instructors do it during the descent for CW 4. Students begin their descent and then stop and hover midway to the bottom, the way they would do it in open water. That is not how most people do it, but it meets the standard, and it does so in a way that is done in real diving.

Eventually, students should be able to do their skills in mid water, while neutrally buoyant. If they only do their skills while kneeling on the bottom, how will they learn that? If they never see an instructor showing them how to do it, who will be their role model?

For those of you who are wondering if what I just wrote is within standards--yes, it is. Every bit of it.

Agree with the above, while these videos are ONE way of doing it people need to be careful not to think its THE way to do it.

That is the main reason until recently PADI have resisted producing such a video.

There are parts of skills in there with methods i personally dislike but they aren't "wrong" because of that. Most of the skills i do are different to that with the same end.

Mainly for demo purposes, is it safe, is it slow, is it exaggerated and can a student learn from the demo. If its "yes" its good enough.

I do chuckle at some people teaching hover on OW4 where they take a student who is already hovering looking at a fish without realising, make him go to the bottom very negative then tell him to hover.

Oh and its "skills" with an "S" not a "Z". I hate butchered English language!

Nice Videos! I am working on my 20 skills eval right now -- very handy.

Yes I understand there are many ways to perform the skills and be within the standards.
We seem to get that brought up every time in posts about the skills.

All I want is clear info like these videos on a good way to demonstrate the skills.

If others want to show their methods for demoing the skills I would gladly watch those also and take the best methods that work for me and my environment :)

What's important for the beginning DM is not a demonstration of how the skills are done. If you're a DMC and you don't know HOW to do these skills, then you need to drop out now. After all, if a DM can't recover their own regulator, how will they live long enough to help a student? :)

Rather, what's important for the DMC is a demonstration of the criteria. What is a 5? What is a 2? Why?

Given that information, the student DM can learn to provide a quality demonstration of the skill to the student.

The first time a DM redemonstrates a skill for a struggling student, it should be done exactly as the instructor they are supporting does it. Since every instructor does things differently, learning to only do a skill one way is a bad thing. Learn to do a 4 or 5 quality demonstration doing the skill multiple ways.

After trying to re-teach what the instructor has already shown, the DM can (and should) try to help the student find the best method for that student. That requires knowing what the standards are and being able to demonstrate a skill within standards in many different ways.

Nice Videos! I am working on my 20 skills eval right now -- very handy.

Yes I understand there are many ways to perform the skills and be within the standards.
We seem to get that brought up every time in posts about the skills.

All I want is clear info like these videos on a good way to demonstrate the skills.

If others want to show their methods for demoing the skills I would gladly watch those also and take the best methods that work for me and my environment :)

FlyinV, Where did you find the videos of (all 20?) the skills?

Just to put some detail into here, for the DM course each skill is rated 1 to 5. The scheme is:

1. Candidate did not or was unable to perform exercise. (see note below)
2. Exercise performed with significant difficulty, error or in a manner that could not be seen
by some students.
3. Exercise performed correctly, though too quickly to adequately exhibit details of skill.
4. Exercise performed correctly and slowly enough to adequately exhibit details of skill.
5. Exercise performed correctly, slowly and with exaggerated movement (appeared “easy&#8221:wink:.

So for some comparison an open water diver should be at a 3 on all those skills.

A DM has to score a minimum of 68 points out of 100 (20 skills x 5 marks). An OPEN WATER diver should get 60 (20 skills x 3).

So the level for DM is actually not that high at all. They need a 4 only in 8 of the skills. Or a 5 in 4 out of the 20 skills and just being able to do the rest at OW level. The mask removal must be at least a 4 so that only leaves a few other skills to improve slightly beyond "can do" and its job done.

The difference between 3,4,5 is how easy its made to look, how slow it is and how exaggerated the movement is.

The IDCS cdrom has example lessons to practice grading (although it focuses on whole lessons, the demo being 1 part of it only) which is an interesting exercise in grading if you've not done it before.

...ok, my intent on posting that video was misunderstood.

I'm an instructor and I don't think these video coul help open water students,
nor could help instructors in their work.

BUT could help for DM examination and also for Instructor examination, to do skills:
to learn the sequencies,
the standard violation (little things like do it fo 30'' etc.)
and possible students errors (in the instructor examination there's some intentional errors on the alumn simulation)

that's it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom