The Monitor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Schlink

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I want to dive the Monitor. Anybody want to go. Anybody know how we can get on the wreck?? I have a few ideas and angles but I was hoping somebody has a better way.

Start by contacting the manager of the U.S.S. Monitor National Marine Sanctuary. You'll need several permits.

WW

Would you perhaps have anymore specfic info. Do you know of anyone who has been able to dive it other than the Cambria group? I am wanting to put together a small group (6-8) that want to go. I have a couple of friends with the needed experience but would like to build a team that would like to go. I have gathered a fair amount of info regarding the dive and as a civil war"buff" I have read quite a bit on the Monitor itself. The purpose of the dive would be to shoot digital still and video, and my personal reason, to combine my two favorite activities. The wreck itself is certainly not the greatest wreck in of itself to dive, however it has some rather profound historical significance. The dive itself-about 250' ,vis varies a great deal, as do the currents ,but can be quite good. Not far offshore so the boat ride would be easy. My thought would be to charter a boat that had been going out there. Any ideas or help would be appreciated-Thanks-M

Am I crazy, I thought they raised this and are in the process of restoring it.

If not, then what was it they raised a couple of years back?

I thought they just raised a piece of it? Could be I'm wrong, That would be the penalty for trying to think...

I clearly was thinking of a different sub. But yes, I can see why you would need special permits.

The one that I was thinking of was recovered and for the most the most part was intact. I am thinking it was off of the NC coast. I believe that it was a confederate sub that went down trying to attach a bomb to an iron clad.

John Broadwater runs the site. As far as what has been lifted They pulled the shaft and screw, part of the steam engine and finally the turrett. They won't be able to lift anything else, other than small artifacts. The wreck itself, or what is left is, a few hundred feet of the hull which is on it's side. Diving the Monitor would be like diving on a reef, no penetration to speak of, and it only resembles the original ship. The historical aspect, for me, is the reason to dive it. The design of the ship and it's place in the history of the U.S. is actually the reason we are here today and able to dive at all. Without the Monitor the U.S. most likely would have ceased exist. The Monitor kept the CSS Virginia from reaking havoc on the east coast including possibly Washington, which would have altered the outcome of the civil war. Diving on the Monitor would be diving on a shipwreck that shaped our history more than probably any other wreck.- WW are you familiar with any dive boats that have been to the Monitor site. I spoke to Gary G. a while back and he thought that there was a boat out of N.J. that may have been going to the site? Iwas told that some boats at one time were able to get a concession to dive it. I was hoping to get a team together that was interested, line up a boat and have the dive trip organized prior to contacting John Broadwater. I have 3 or 4 already. AN U/W archeologist, a professional photographer, myself and a friend. I was hoping to get a few more that might be interested to fill the boat and for some divers it might be a great opportunity, as it would be for me. Thanks everyone-M

Let this thread run for a bit as one of the members here was involved in the work done there. He'll have the specific info that I don't have. I'm sure he'll notice the thread soon.

WW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom