The Mis-Adventures of my AOW class- READ!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

java once bubbled...
Hi,
Since i am looking to take an AOW in NJ how can I ensure that the instructor will be capable?

On an other point, someone mentioned the fact that it is not smart to go straight from OW to AOW. In my opinion it is a way to get more dives in under supervision (obviously this thread was started by a lapse of supervision), letting a new diver progress with the help he needs

I agree - I think that going straight into Advanced Open Water is simply a way of getting more training with an instructor... do you actually think that an OW only diver is going to just STOP at 60'? or that somehow diving without any additional training is going to somehow magically make them absorb information they might not know to look for and perhaps interpret it incorrectly?

If I were to choose an option I believe that the open-water classes should in fact include more supervised dives and then students be ENCOURAGED to continue their training immediately afterwards.

I agree that nothing beats real experience - just look at any teenage driver that got an A++ in driver's ed yet still manages to crash the vehicle.

On the other hand experience without having to deal with consequences also has it's problems. For example - if you have dove 100 times but have never had to actually face an emergency DCS - how do you know that you won't freeze up? You generally can't unless you train train train and train more.

FWIW I went OW straight to AOW, and I had a great time on my AOW course. Having said that I really like my instructor so your mileage may vary.

My biggest problem with the Advanced Open Water Course, is the name, the thought that doing 5 supervised dives makes you in some way advanced makes my mind boggle, the problem arrises when the people on the course start to believe it.

Most agencies allow the O/W or Basic Suba Diver graduates to immediately enter an Advanced Diver or AOW course. The intent is to allow the diver to experience more challenging dives and learn additional skills under the direct supervision of an Instructor.

I require Basic or O/W scuba divers to have at least 10 scuba dives after their certification, before being accepted in my advanced program. I find these divers enjoy the program better and master skills more easily, because they are more comforatable in the water, they've had time to get accustomed their gear, and have better buoyancy control.

This requirement is not hard and fast, and I will reduce the number of dives if I have dived with them and observed their comfort/skill level, or if it is a private/semi-private class (only 1 or 2 students).

Mike D

:blfish:

When I am in warm water I don' need no stinkin' pony. But up here in the murky chill I suck air like a hoover. I see the need for a bit of spare. A little bit of Northeast diving made me a believer. If I ever DO suck up all my air due to an emergency I want to know that my pony bottle is waiting to get me to the surface.

Jersey once bubbled...
MikeG

About the pony bottle questions, for some reason we in Jersey love our ponies! As was pointed out, they are never included in calculations for available air, are for extreme circumstances, are added insurance polices and are there to help buddies and fellow divers more so then for the person carrying the pony. None of the NJ boats I've worked with require a pony, but most have a profound respect for it. We travel with our own. The price of the hydro is worth it to us.

Back
Top Bottom