The Mis-Adventures of my AOW class- READ!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelG

Reaction score
Anyone thinking of going for the AOW should read this....This is a good read with some examples of what not to do.....

I recently decided to take the Advanced Open Water certification. Prior to taking the AOW, I only had 8 dives under by belt with my deepest dive being 60 fsw and 6 of them being in Carribean waters and the other 2 in Dutch Springs.

The AOW class consisted of Night, Navigation, Search and Recovery, Deep and Wreck.

NIGHT DIVE
My first dive was a Night dive near and inlet to the ocean. We did the dive during slack tide and there were 4 students, 2 instructors and 2 experienced divers. The maximum depth was 20 feet. Going down was a uniques experience not being able to see 2 feet in front of you. The bottom surface was covered with hundreds of spider crabs.

The group tried to perform several activities, but the zero visibility and disorientation made a mess of things. I decided to surface when I could no longer see anyone or the glow of any lights. At the surface I met another diver who was also confused. We ultimately located the dive flag after it surfaced from being pulled under the water because the instructor did not let out enough slack. When the instructor finaly surfaced and everyone was gathered back together, it was decided to make another attempt.

Once reaching the bottom again, visibility was zero again because of all the silt being kicked up. This time we swam along the jetty for about 30 seconds until the party got split up again. Most of the time I could'nt see anything and once in a while I would see a rock (from the jetty wall). It was'nt until I saw what looked like a huge rock over my head that I decided it was time to surface. Upon surfacing, I was met by a fellow diver who was following me. This was the same diver I met on the surface earlier. When we surfaced, we immediately realized something was wrong. Looking around revealed some red lights, horns, bells and a bridge. Looking for the dive flag revealed that we were about 400+ feet from it. Apparently the current picked up and the tide was pulling us out of the inlet to the ocean. Luckily we surfaced when we did or we would have been out in the ocean god knows where. After locating the dive instructor and swimming back about 200 feet, it was decided to climb up on the jetty and walk our asses back.

All-in-all, this was a cluster F of a dive in which nothing was accomplished except for scaring the crap out of me and almost getting swept out to sea... :)

NAVIGATION DIVE
My second dive produced nothing unusual. It was a nice cold dive in which I had to navigate with poor visibility fighting a current.

SEARCH AND RECOVERY DIVE:
My third dive produced nothing unusual. It was a nice cold dive in which I learned how to use a wreck real to search and recover items. Unfortunately, nothing was recovered.... :)

DEEP DIVE
My fourth dive and my first way out in the ocean. This dive was actually to a wreck USS Algol off the NJ coast. The seas were calm and the weather was warm. This dive started out okay until I realized that the dive shop had only filled my tank to 2700psi. I was really pissed off because the week before they gave me 3500psi. I really felt short changed but figured since this was my first of two dives, this would be shorter at a shallower depth so the second tank would prove to be more useful for the second dive.

Gearing up was a ***** on a crowded boat but entering the water felt great after doing a giant stride 4 feet above the water. When I finaly got to the anchor line, I wasted about 5 minutes waiting for one of the divers to descend. For some reason he just waited at the line waiting for some divers doing deco stops to move. I decided to freely descend below the divers decoing and the other diver and the instructor followed behind me. When we reached the point where the boat had anchored on to the wreck, it was 80 fsw and 47 degrees cold. It was actually a really cool descent because you could not see the wreck until you passed the thermocline and then things got REAL dark REAL fast and REAL cold. Visibility was still poor at about 10 feet but I could'nt recognize anything.

I kept informing my instructor of my air pressure and when I reached about 1000psi I began going for the anchor line. I ascended okay, but rather slowly. In fact, my ascent may have been too slow since I blew all my air going from 80fsw to 15fsw. When I hit about 15 feet, I began to perform my safety stop. It got so crowded on the line that I decided to free hang. When I informed my instructor that I had only 300psi left all of the sudden I could'nt get anything out of the tank. It was dead and no air was comming out of the reg. I informed my instructor and he provided me with his spare. In total, the safety-stop lasted about 8 minutes.

The swim back was a LOOONG one since we surfaced on the starboard side and the boat captain wanted everyone to swim around the port side to the rear of the boat. I always said I hate the snorkel and was looking for every reason to get rid of it, but I found the primary reason to keep it. The LOONG swim and NO air in my tanks required me to use the damn snorkel that I thanked myself for having.

WRECK DIVE
This was the second dive of the day and the plan was to go down to about 100fsw and maybe deeper. When I hooked up my second tank, I noticed it too only had 2700psi of air. At this point I was VERY annoyed. In fact, I was so annoyed because the shop where I got the tanks is the one that chartered the dive and they KNEW I was going on the wreck dive for my AOW. In fact, the guy who filled my tanks was on the boat diving as well. Lets face it, they gave me two weak fills knowing I would need all the air I can get.

This time, my instructor teamed me up with someone who had considerable more experience than myself and was also an advanced diver. The plan was to get down to 80fsw where the anchor line was as quickly as possible and then hook up a wreck reel to the railing and drop off the side to about 100fsw.

Going down to the wreck went real smooth and my buddy hooked up the line quickly and we dropped off the side. Immediately we went down to 104fsw. Visibility was till about 10 feet and I could'nt recognize anything of the ship at all. I followed my dive buddy as he led the way with his reel and I untangled him a couple of times. When I hit about 1500psi I notified my buddy so we can make our way back to the anchor line.

When I reached about 1000psi, I notified him again and this time I think he realized we needed to make our way back. I started to follow him back when I felt he was moving too slow and I would soon run out of air at 100fsw. At one point, I rose to about 80fsw figuring the anchor line would be right there because it all looked so familiar. All I can say is I was wrong and EVERYTHING looks familiar underwater. Little did I realize that me and my dive buddy had traveled quite far as he let out about 150feet of line. I got back to him and untanlged him a couple of times.

We finaly reached the anchor line when I had about 400psi left. I was still 80fsw down and needed to get up as quickly as possible. My previous dive revealed that at about 200psi, my tank would die. The general rule had been about 30fsw/minute but I decided I did'nt have enough air to do that so I went up as close to 60fsw/minute as possible. My dive buddy was going up much slower and I would have stayed with him, but I figured he had slightly more air than myself and we both would have been in trouble if I used his air as well. When I reached about 50fsw I realized I had about 300psi and any breath now I would be out of air so I rushed myself up the line and was preparing myself to blow the safety-stop knowing full well that I needed to. The entire time I kept thinking about the books I have read (the most recent was "The Last Dive") where well experienced divers blew their deco-stops taking the chances of DCS over death.

As I made my way up, I kept thinking to myself that I messed up big time and that I was taking a big chance on getting DCS if I blew my safety-stop. When I reached about 20fsw I noticed 2 divers who were part of my group. I immediately motioned to one of the divers that I was out and needed air. He provided me with his spare and I was able to do a 4 minute safety stop at 20fsw before he just about ran out too and had to surface. Having no air myself, I had to stop my safety-stop and surface as well.

It is important to note that on this dive I did 3 minutes at 80fsw and 6 minutes at 105fsw. Total dive time from entry to exit lasted about 21 minutes. After my surface interval of my previous dive, I entered the water in pressure group B. When I finaly made it aboard the dive boat I was extremely nervous about what just occured and all I could do was wait for DCS to kick in because of the speed I came up and the shorter than I wanted safety-stop. Checking my dive time revealed that I was now in pressure group Z. To make matters worst, when I called the dive shop the day before, I asked them if they had a pony-bottle for rent and they said they did, but when my wife went to pick up the regulater and tanks, they informed he they did'nt have any available and that I would not need one. I knew I should have had one because of my inexperience. And I certainly did need it.

LESSONS LEARNED
Well, it is now 36 hours after my last dive that was a complete mess and I am feeling every single ache in my body looking for signs of DCS. Right now, I have a slight headache, feel fatigued and my body is aching slightly. Particularly, the inner joints of my arms feel weak as if I had done bench presses.

I am contributing my headache to the fact the I way overslept this morning. The fatigure I figure is from the being of all my energy on a rocking boat in the sun all day long that was taken out of me, plus the 12 hours sleep I had last night. And the aching in my body is probably from the more than unusual workload I did in putting on/taking off the gear and weights and carrying all that crap around. It feels as if I had worked out (which I have'nt in months). I don't feel any real pain anywhere, just alot of fatigue particularly in my arms and the inner joints of my elbows. I would think it was DCS, but I am feeling the same weakness in both arms/joints. I will wait another 24 hours and if I don't feel any better, I will make my way to a doctor, but I just think my level of fitness is so low that all the exertion I did to myself on the boat dive is making me feel the way I do right now. Also the fact the my physical fitness is not all that great and probably just over did it.

Anyway, here are my lessons that EVERYONE should pay attention to: 1) NEVER run out of air. 2) Always use a PONY bottle if you plan on going deeper that 60fsw. 3) Before you leave the dive shop, make sure you know how much air is in the tank. 4) Never trust your dive buddy and think that they are experienced so you will be alright. If you get low on air and you need your buddy to get back, force them to leave with you. The only reason I stayed with him was because of my lack of experience and I did'nt know my way back to the anchor line. 5) PLAN your dive and DIVE your plan. I was following the directions of my dive instructor but never realised that it would be as unplanned as it was. I got caught up in the excitement of it all and never considered that I would get into trouble. I think my dive instructor thaught I had more experience than I actually did, but in all fairness to myself, I did tell him several times that I was going down low on air and he knew my level of experience since I repeatedly told him that I never went on a wreck dive nor did I ever go below 60fsw and this was my 12th dive. I think he should have made sure I stuck with him. 6) Rental regulators/tanks suck!! I can't help but to feel that a not-so-good regulator caused me to run out at 200psi. I'm not sure, but I thaught 200psi at 15fsw should still produce some air, but it did'nt.

--MichaelG

Wow, that sucks. But at least your alive to tell it. I am just about finished with my OW cert. and want to work on my AOW. I think I will be very careful who I go out with. Thanks for the story

Jessica

Well
At least it sounds like you learnt some lessons form you AOW, personally there is no way as an instructor I would take a student with only 8 dives on the AOW Course.

Cheers
Chris
PADI MSDT
http://homepage.com.com/sydney_diver

That sounds like a scary ride, dude! Here's my thoughts:

You were right; a full tank was needed for a deep dive. One needs extra air to ascend when they have gone deeper. Had a buddy run out of air because of some similar exigencies last week. Regardless whether you checked the fill before leaving the shop, it is part of a buddy check to discuss tank capacities with buddies before you enter, ie: "Hey, you are a little low on air. That is going to cut our bottom time." Alerting the other person should make them more aware during the dive.

The doggone rental reg may have been freeflowing, but I suspect that because you are still new, you may have been breathing pretty heavy without knowing it. Why did the instructor think you were more experienced than you are? Did you resist telling him out of pride?

Low viz off much of the American coast is a reality. The Caribbean is no preparation for local conditions. Many "good" dives I have made are in 10' & less of viz. It would have been good to have some guided dives in those waters during the day before being tossed in the drink at night (yes, hind sight is 20/20).

Not sure if there was an option for the instructor to take you to a more protected harbor for that dive, but being swept out to sea in a less protected area seems like either rotten luck or being in the wrong environment for a newbie. You had too many challenges at once. The point of AOW is to face a new challenge at every dive; not to risk your life in a combination of uncontrolled experiments.

The jazz about people taking too long to descend is probably just you getting impatient because of your own fear; every dive will include people who take to long, crowd you, do unexpected things, & don't meet your expectations. Just ask if you can go ahead of someone who hesitates at any stage of the game when you need to get going.

Running out of air once probably should have made you twice cautious, but admit that you hesitated a second time! I agree that the instructor may not have been sticking close enough; 4 students to 2 instructors should not have been that tough to keep track of. Sounds like they were being "hands off" as if they were diving with equals, not trainees.

You don't really need a pony bottle at 100' now that you know what your limits are, but if it makes you feel more secure, go for it. Just make sure that you don't get in the habit of expecting to run out of air to milk the dive further because you have a backup.

To teach Search & Recovery, it is silly to just take students to a site & hope that they find treasures to bring up; it is necessary to set up some objects ahead of time (ie: our instructor put some hollow pipes at depth.) You had sort of a dumb situation to deal with. I'm also thinking that the instructor may not have been very experienced to put so little slack in a line that the rising tide could pull the flag under. Now, the thing about the Loo-oong swim back to the boat: that's your bad. Part of diving is keeping our kick strong enough in the pool that we can take kicking to the other side of a boat without getting too winded.

All in all, the fact that you survived all of this should be a confidence builder. You made some mistakes that hopefully you learned from. I hope that the instructor learned a few things, too. Glad that you kept going even when things got sticky. Keep us posted on how you apply these lessons. These posts are extremely valuable for divers at all levels to read & consider!

:)

Hi Michael,
I seriously hope that you are just tired & a little hypochondiac after your misadventures. I have always thanked heaven for my snorkel; saves me air on the way there & back.

Frankly, I, too am a bit scandalized by the lack of supervision. "Advanced OW" does not necesarily mean "experienced, confident, and informed." Why was it so hard for 2 instructors to mind 2 buddy pairs at all stages of the dive?

If you had set up your tanks upon boarding the ship, you could have noticed that you were low on air & asked the DM to fill them up (did they have a compressor on board?) Live & learn, but LIVE! above all.

I'm glad you are alive and have learned some important lessions -- Do yourself and your dive buddy a favor. Get a couple dozen shallower dives under your belt before adventuring deep again. Your gas management should become second nature.

:eek:

I'm not too impressed with the instructors lack of proper planning here. Considering what happened on the deep dive, the wreck dive should have been planned by the instructor with great care to avoid the OOA situation happening again. Indeed, a dive to this depth with a student of such limited experience should have been directly supervised at all times. As for going deeper than 100ft, this violates the PADI standard specified in the PADI instructor manual for the AOW course. It is also a reverse profile, as the earlier dive was only to 80ft. A recipe for disaster, which fortunately was avoided!

1) NEVER run out of air. 2) Always use a PONY bottle if you plan on going deeper that 60fsw. 3) Before you leave the dive shop, make sure you know how much air is in the tank. 4) Never trust your dive buddy and think that they are experienced so you will be alright. If you get low on air and you need your buddy to get back, force them to leave with you. The only reason I stayed with him was because of my lack of experience and I did'nt know my way back to the anchor line. 5) PLAN your dive and DIVE your plan.

I think if you follow #5 you will find you don't have to worry about #1 or #2. I don't think rule#3 is much of an issue. Only having 2700psi just means your dive may be a bit shorter. Sure, have them top up the tanks when you pick them up.. but this shouldn't seriously impact your dive if you plan it. And #4 should be #1..

Rule #1: don't dive with unsafe divers.

Your buddy on dive 2 was definatly unsafe. On a charter last weekend we had 9 divers. The 9th diver asked to buddy with my wife and I. After watching him smoke 4-5 cigarettes, coaugh up about a liter of phlegm, and fumble with his gear.. I politley declined. Its not my problem, and I don't want him to end up being my problem at 90feet.

Don't be shy about applying rule #1. Its the best rule going.

Dive 1
I reached about 1000psi I began going for the anchor line

Know your SAC rate and know your buddys SAC then plan your gas acordingly. Your first time at 80 fsw your going to be hard on your gas, a lesson you probaly learned on this one. Theres no fault in turning a dive when your gas is low. You should have this number prepared in advance, with your buddys agreement and writen on your slate pror to getting into the water.

dive 2
When I hit about 1500psi I notified my buddy
When you hit 1500 on your second dive and called the turn and your buddy decided to ignore you? I have MAJOR problems with that. Infact after surfacing I'd have been right pissed off.

You probably didn't feel experinced enough to make the statement under water, but its your life. When you hit your turn point, you turn the dive. If your buddy decided to swim off into never never land.. not only has he put both your lives into danger, but your now solo diveing.

If they ignore you, pull on there fin, get there attention and make sure they see you and understand that your turning the dive. If they ignore you again, wave good bye. Sounds like this guy would have been in major trouble without you around to untangle him from his own line.

Dive safe. Dive often.

A question about your tanks. Were they your tanks, or were they rentals? If they were rentals, it is possible that you had HP tanks the week before, and LP tanks this week. Were they steel or AL?

As for running out of air, that was porpbably no the smartest thing to do. To do it twice was really screwed up. Hopefully you have learned a lesson from this. That lesson should not be carry a pony bottle. That lesson should be better dive planning and gas management.

Finally, I hope that everthing is ok, and you are not suffering from any form of DCS.

Originally posted by JimC
Rule #1: don't dive with unsafe divers.

I was going to say the same thing! Don't dive with strokes.

Back
Top Bottom