The minimalist movement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ever since a course taught by "Easy Diver" Lou Fead I have been a minimalist. Lou always taught us to: "Take only what you need. Keep it simple and clean." Lou was right on so many things.

ZKY, that is certainly a skewed view of DIR you got from reading the intarwebz.
I was around from the beginning when DIR first appeared on the west coast.

DIR brought many good things to diving. Many of which have leaked into recreational diving and have become an integral part of diving today.
Their training is first rate, their gear choices are great, the configuration is great for the type of diving that DIR was originally designed to tackle.

The less is more concept was one of their mantras but this applied to the tech world in which they were doing battle at the time.

Unfortunately I saw the ugliness of a few of their messangers who were assigned to wage their crusade on the west coast. I just remember the berrating, the belittling, the egos.
This was a bad time on dive boats and on the local discussion boards. Many people were left confused and bewildered. You can't drag someone over to a table, grab the back of their hair and repeatedly smash their face into a book you want them to read and expect them to read it. This is a metaphore for what was going on during that time. I don't know what the point was, but it left quite a bitter taste in many peoples mouths including mine. I think it's quite a shame because they could have been much more successful if they left the alpha complex and the mean spirited ego mania at the door. But it is what it is.
I thank them, but at the same time dislike them (or a few of them) It has calmed way down since then.

I need to find my pressure LP relief valve to install, cannot remember were I put them.

N
So own less crap and you won't lose it so easy :rofl3:

where is the 2nd stage :confused:; don't tell me that it is that small firehose-like thing

Yeah, you just bite on it and it squirts air into your mouth :lotsalove:.

Now, before y'all go off the deep end, this rig is a joke, well, not entirely, sorta, well, OK, you got me, I do intend to use it just as I describe :eyebrow:.

N<---minimalism, I am not there yet, but I am trying, I have been ebaying all my junk to use guys, even my second stage and now all I got left is that thing to bite on--:rofl3:

Yeah, you just bite on it and it squirts air into your mouth :lotsalove:.

Now, before y'all go off the deep end, this rig is a joke, well, not entirely, sorta, well, OK, you got me, I do intend to use it just as I describe :eyebrow:.

N<---minimalism, I am not there yet, but I am trying, I have been ebaying all my junk to use guys, even my second stage and now all I got left is that thing to bite on--:rofl3:
any plans for clearing that said 2nd stage? or you'll never take it out of your mouth...um .. throat! :D

I learned to dive before a lot of today's equipment was available and over the years my two concessions to minimalism was the Scubapro stablizing jacket of the 70's and the computer. Now I will dive with either no BC or a wing if needed. I have never dived with an octo or pony. My double rig is a single outlet non isolator manifold and one regulator. For singles I use an aluminum version of the old plastic back pack that I made. The regulator could be any of several vintage two hose regulators or any of several single hose regulators, most likely my Scubapro MK V / 109 adjustable.
My favorite fin is the old mares power plana graphite, I just bought a like new pair off ebay. If I know I will have need for a snorkle, a lift bag, compass, or reel I will bring which ever or all on a particular dive. I have no great need for a dive shop other than the occasional mask or fin strap.

I am totally a minimalist. Exposure suit...as little as possible for the dive. BCD, NOTHING hanging off of it (other than guages which are tucked away as not to catch). Knife on BCD and 1/2 of my weights. No snorkel. In my thirty years of diving I have learned that less is more. More likely not to get tangled on something, and less crap to clean up! If it cannot fit in the pockets of the BCD, I don't take it. PERIOD. Except, of course, my speargun :)

I try to be a minimalist but, when practical, I like to have a bit of redundancy. In addition to a small knife I carry a tiny trilobite line cutter. I carry and extra computer on my wrist. I have an air horn attached to my drysuit inflator. I carry a small, bright backup light that I have deployed no less than five times, usually to help out a buddy whose light failed or was accidentally left at the surface (I've actually never deployed it for my own benefit).

These objects are super easy to carry, and if I need any of them I will be really glad they're with me. So why not bring them?

What are these BCD's and Gauges you speak of? Some new-fangled devices I presume :wink:
If you look at 0:13 you'll see a backplate isn't even needed.

[video=youtube;L53TdKxrGkk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53TdKxrGkk[/video]

What are these BCD's and Gauges you speak of? Some new-fangled devices I presume :wink:
If you look at 0:13 you'll see a backplate isn't even needed.

You have gone beyond Minimalism are now a Regressive diver :).

Hogarthian divers claim they are Minimalists but it seems they largely have two of everything. Thus occurring to me that most have no idea of the concept:

What Is Minimalism? - The Minimalists

So a few years ago I went through my closet and all through the house and gave everything away. Wonderful, I thought. Since then I have bought it all over again times two. Perhaps I am a Hogarthianist after all.

Yes, it is worth a chuckle, a Minimalist SCUBA diver with a BC(D). However, I applaud the recent post in this ancient thread if indeed he is applying the concept. A beginning.

Seriously, a Minimalist SCUBA diver is doing more than eliminating gear and eliminating redundant items, though that is a visible part. But that is only a part of a bigger methodology that depends upon fitness, skill, watermanship and knowledge rather than depending upon layers of equipment.

Minimalism, this is pretty much it:

69730997_o.jpg

I am of a mind that much of modern dive training is a result of our modern society, we want it now and we have no patience. And in my case, a need (real or perceived) to support an increasingly large and heavy camera rig) :wink:.

Swim down, swim around, swim back up.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom