The Mares vs Dacor question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As mentioned in one of the above posts, the cost to produce the molds to make the parts would be very expensive. Mares offered an trade-in program for several years for a customer to trade-in the now useless Dacor regs for new Mares ones at a discounted rate. I feel this was a good effort to try to provide something for those loyal Dacor customers.

That's pretty cute!

Head / Mares is a big corp, their one and primary responsibility to keeping their stockholders happy (make money this quarter). Pleasing customers, developing new products, supporting existing products are done when they is a profit to be had and skipped when there is not. Anyone who has worked for a large corp (and been laid off or otherwise screwed) realizes this. The sales reps are just a tiny cog in the wheel with no power and minimal understanding of the corporate plan (or lack of).

I've worked for very large corporations and currently work managing the largest insurance contract in the nation with over 800000 clients. What I know is this, if you piss off enough clients, your stock holders aren't going to be happy, because without clients, there is no revenue, and without revenue there is no future in the company.

Sales reps are a tiny un-powered cog? I challenge you to find a single successful company that sustains itself without someone selling their product. It's the reason why great sales reps make so much friggin money. There's very very few industries where a high school dropout can consistently make 200-500k per year like sales people do. But that's another story.

---------- Post added March 18th, 2014 at 05:06 PM ----------

As mentioned in one of the above posts, the cost to produce the molds to make the parts would be very expensive. Mares offered an trade-in program for several years for a customer to trade-in the now useless Dacor regs for new Mares ones at a discounted rate. I feel this was a good effort to try to provide something for those loyal Dacor customers.

The trade-in program did not offer a lifetime parts guarantee, which is why people bought Dacor in the first place.

I've worked for very large corporations and currently work managing the largest insurance contract in the nation with over 800000 clients. What I know is this, if you piss off enough clients, your stock holders aren't going to be happy, because without clients, there is no revenue, and without revenue there is no future in the company.

Sales reps are a tiny un-powered cog? I challenge you to find a single successful company that sustains itself without someone selling their product. It's the reason why great sales reps make so much friggin money. There's very very few industries where a high school dropout can consistently make 200-500k per year like sales people do. But that's another story.

-

Stockholders want short term gains. Not saying its right, but unless you have some new super technology with a huge upside to gain, the market will pressure companies to turn a profit now, not 5 years from now. Companies have and will abandon small segments of customers to make this profit and I believe that is where are now with Dacor. It might not be right or moral, but that way it is.

The sales reps IMO do not have power. While they can make good money and make the world go round, they are not high enough up in the food chain to make strategic decisions. Those guys and gals do not spend their time placating Scubaboard members on-line or even talking with shop owners.

A company can offer life time warranty while it is alive. Dacor no longer exists. Mares bought what was left of the Dacor company. Why, who knows, only Mares owners can answer that. Many reasons could be behind that decision. Keeping Dacor life time warranty, surely not. Absorb Dacor technology to improve Mares reg, perhaps. Taxes, job positions, gobernment arrangements, patents, could be.

Not really the point I was making. My point is, they abandoned a reg with a life time warranty, and offered a lesser reg without a lifetime warranty in exchange. I'm sure we can all agree that Mares has never had the market share Dacor had for decades. I doubt they'll ever build back up to what Dacor had before Dacor's founder passed away.

Back
Top Bottom