The Mares & Dacor HUB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reason they're unloading HUBs for $500 is that they can't sell them for more. The HUB was a concept by Mares/Dacor that tried to solve problems that don't exist, while introducing several potential failure sites amongst a tangle of plumbing, valves and fittings (all hidden from view). Personally, I'd avoid this "deal" at all costs.

Alan

don't walk away from this 'deal'...

Ditto everything agstreet said.

Agreed. Do not buy a HUB!

From what I have heard, this is a deal you should pass up.

Consider that when diving you will have a piece of equipment that your dive buddy is totaly unfamiliar with.

I have also heard reports that divers have trouble at first getting the feel for the power inflator and power deflator with the result that they bouancy suffered.

Bottom line, I have no experience, just MHO (ok, so I'm not humbel, but it still my opinion), but I thing it is a solution looking for a problem.

A regulator and octo will run me about the same as the whole hub. This isn't something I can use for now, buy a BC later(I'd like something weight integrated anyways) when I have the money and snap on some extra hoses and use the regulators and whatnot?

tarnis once bubbled...
A regulator and octo will run me about the same as the whole hub. This isn't something I can use for now, buy a BC later(I'd like something weight integrated anyways) when I have the money and snap on some extra hoses and use the regulators and whatnot?

We're answering the whole question, you're just not hearing the whole answer.

It isn't a matter of money or what you can use now and modify later. None of that will matter if you're dead, and many of us see the failure of a HUB as a good way to kill or seriously hurt yourself.

Alan

For the $500 you can probably get gear online that is as good or better than HUB. There are a lot of potential failure points with no real positive reason to buy the thing. Leisure Pro has a Dacor package for $550 that would be far better than the hub and for little more money.

tarnis once bubbled...

$350 will get you a kickass reg set from Leisurepro, and another $215 will get you a Zeagle Scout BC.

Spend $65 more and get gear that is infinitely better than a Dacor HUB.

agstreet once bubbled...

We're answering the whole question, you're just not hearing the whole answer.

It isn't a matter of money or what you can use now and modify later. None of that will matter if you're dead, and many of us see the failure of a HUB as a good way to kill or seriously hurt yourself.

Alan

Just one question - have you (or anyone else for that matter) actually had personal experience of, known someone who has, or even heard of someone who has been either seriously hurt or died as a direct result of a failure by a Mares or Dacor HUB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom