The Mares & Dacor HUB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug wrote...
WW and LW you two just need to learn how to get along... and understand where the other fellow is coming from.

WW... is a diver's diver and has been doing it for a loooong time... he is an accomplished technical diver as well.

LW... got a serious rash trying to figure out a backplate harness... and thus his crusade against them.

There... that should help.
Good thing I wasn't drinking anything, or you'd owe me a new keyboard, Pug.

:D

MechDiver once bubbled...
First, let me say I'm sorry. But most important, at how many posts does this happen =-) :confused:

It can happen at any time, no set number of posts. Oddly enough, they don't do it to you, you do it to yourself.

WW

WreckWriter once bubbled...

It can happen at any time, no set number of posts. Oddly enough, they don't do it to you, you do it to yourself.

WW

Feeling a sense of responsiblity to live up to the title ugh?

I paid about $400 for my Ranger. Back when I was pricing BCs, I was also looking at the Sherwood AVID and it seems like I found one somewhere for around $350. I got a sale flyer from LP when I received my Citizen dive watch this Christmas, and it had a Sherwood Freedom (I believe that's its name..I'm at work so I don't have my reference material with me) back inflate BC for $200. I have looked into them before and they look like pretty nice...granted they were on sale. I might try and talk my buddy into getting one because they are so cheap. He doesn't dive much and hasn't ever considered buying gear because getting geared up is so expensive...but $200..dang!

Anyhows, Texasmike bought a BP/wings setup not too long ago and it seems like he paid about $500 to $600 for it.

..and this is a little off the subject, but I've always thought I probably wouldn't like the SS backplate because if I bend over my spine sticks right on out there...it seems like more than most people (not alot of flesh between bone and backplate). I've never liked the feel of something hard against my back for this reason..it kinda hurts. I threw TM's BP on over my street clothes real quick like and it seemed like (it's been awhile since I tried it on) the curve of the BP contuors the sides of my back really nicely and if I recall correctly, there is a gap running vertically right where my spine was and so the BP's contoured sides held the weight of the thing as that is where the contact with my back was, not on my spine. I don't know what it would be like with the weight of the tank,though. Have any of y'all DIR Nazis (just a joke...lighten up! :wink: ) have ever experienced discomfort with your spine making contact with the plate?

For me at least the channel lines up with the spine so I have not had an issue. I understand that others have had different experiences but I find it to be just as comfortable as anyother BC and much more stable underwater. YMMV

Chad

Wreck writer, don't take it personally. Life is too short. If you are a diver's diver, you can ignore me and make your contribution.

leadweight once bubbled...
Wreck writer, don't take it personally. Life is too short. If you are a diver's diver, you can ignore me and make your contribution.

You're right, life is too short. That's something I'm well reminded of once in a while so thanks.

Not a claim I would make or a way I would describe myself but I do try to to contribute where I can. I assume you are trying to do the same. Maybe we can both try to drop some of the harshness out of it.

WW

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Maybe that's your experience Tom... I just played nice 'til they forgot about me :D

You have more self control than I do.

WW

Back
Top Bottom