The location dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello everyone,

So as the title says I am debating where to go diving in the Philippines.

I have been to Coron, Siquijor and Panglao before so I do not want to repeat, but then as you all know its hard to decide. I am on a tight budget and would want to do it on the cheap. I will be there for the first two weeks of December (in case anyone else is around). I am pretty set on trying to visit Apo Reef since I have heard great things about it. But the rest is pretty tough.

Originally I had considered Anilao and PG. But well I have been reading the forums and its a tough decision. All of you have posted such great things about Southern Leyete (sp?) that I am really torn about going there. I also know that Anilao as a solo diver might be difficult, but then PG apparently is easier. I would ideally like a variety of things, that being said, I was recently in the Red Sea hanging out with pelagics (saw threshers hence Malapascua not being on the list). I have also seen Whale Sharks before so that is not the strongest pull (even though they are magnificent creatures and would be happy to see them again). Sardine run in Moalboal also sounds very impressive.

Really I am trying to decide whether going to Southern Leyete is worth the hassle or whether PG has pretty comparable stuff.

Thank you all!

I can also recommend Anilao Scuba Dive Center for those on a budget... For around a $100 bucks a day you get accommodations, 3 meals, and 3 boat dives. Anilao is a bit unique in that most of the places there charge a flat rate for the boat and it's split amongst whoever is on the boat. If the boat is full that's great... for someone traveling alone and especially if diving during the week, it can be prohibitively expensive. Here's a couple links to my blog where I write about my experience diving with them:
Anilao-Part One
Anilao-Part Two

Anilao Scuba Dive Center can be reached via their Facebook page... Anilao Scuba Dive Center

For budget travel to Puerto Galera, I would recommend AAA for 1000 pesos a night. AAA Hotel.Condo.Apartment

For diving try Frontier Scuba I've found to have the best rates in PG. Frontier Scuba Rate will depend on with or without equipment but very reasonable.

I second Nelson's Dive Shop in Moalboal. Locally owned and nice people and probably the most reasonable rates you will find in Moalboal. You can stay next door at Eve's Kiosk. Air-conditioned rooms are available, but if you can do without air/con, I've stayed all the way in the back in a fan room for around 600 pesos a night. I'm not in the room during the day and it's plenty cool enough for a fan at night :) Eve's Kiosk Dive Resort

In Dauin (Dumaguete) I recommend AivyMaes Divers Resort Very reasonable rates and they're beachfront on the Dauin Marine Sanctuary :)

I am pretty sure Rick is no longer involved with Frontier, pity.

Oh this is great guys!

Thanks Bill22 for the tips on Anilao. I really wanted to stop by if I went to PG since it is on the way and I have obviously heard wonderful things from all of you about the place. But the price was putting me off specially since I think I would be going by there on a Monday.

As of now I am still thinking that Southern Leyete is a bit far...specially since no one has come out and said its better (which might in all honesty make my decision easier).

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

Last question! Anyone here dived Apo Reef before. I am having trouble finding good info on companies to dive with.
I have only found (from Sablayan):
- Gustavs
- Apo Reef club
- Pandan Island resort (I think they are also Mariposa)
- Sablayan Adventure resort
- Sablayan divers

Anyone try any of these? Opinions? Also how is the diving around Sablayan or Pandan island? Wouldn't mind doing a couple more days around there if its nice.

Thank you all!

Peter's Dive resort in South Leyete is really nice and well priced. They have different types of rooms plus dorm. I was there in May a year ago and had a fun week. I took a ferry from Cebu and a jeepney to the resort. Check their site, the ferry situation changed since I've been there.
You might get lucky and see a whale shark swim by. I think it too early for whale shark season but they see them even right next to the resort. Night dive under the pier in Burgos is not to be missed, they do it only a few days a week.

If you are looking for a small resort in Anilao, Blue Ribbon is really good. I am going back in 10 days. It is more for small stuff.

Also consider Dauin, Dumagete. Lots of things to see and do, plus close to Apo island. Wonderpus, harlequin shrimp, flamboyant cuttlefish, blue ring and mototi octopus. There are a bunch of cheaper resort there. I stayed at Pura Vida a couple of times but it is pricey.

I am pretty sure Rick is no longer involved with Frontier, pity.
I heard last month he was trying to sell.

Back
Top Bottom