The location dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alberto Ruiz-Larrea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone,

So as the title says I am debating where to go diving in the Philippines.

I have been to Coron, Siquijor and Panglao before so I do not want to repeat, but then as you all know its hard to decide. I am on a tight budget and would want to do it on the cheap. I will be there for the first two weeks of December (in case anyone else is around). I am pretty set on trying to visit Apo Reef since I have heard great things about it. But the rest is pretty tough.

Originally I had considered Anilao and PG. But well I have been reading the forums and its a tough decision. All of you have posted such great things about Southern Leyete (sp?) that I am really torn about going there. I also know that Anilao as a solo diver might be difficult, but then PG apparently is easier. I would ideally like a variety of things, that being said, I was recently in the Red Sea hanging out with pelagics (saw threshers hence Malapascua not being on the list). I have also seen Whale Sharks before so that is not the strongest pull (even though they are magnificent creatures and would be happy to see them again). Sardine run in Moalboal also sounds very impressive.

Really I am trying to decide whether going to Southern Leyete is worth the hassle or whether PG has pretty comparable stuff.

Thank you all!

Hello everyone,

So as the title says I am debating where to go diving in the Philippines.

I have been to Coron, Siquijor and Panglao before so I do not want to repeat, but then as you all know its hard to decide. I am on a tight budget and would want to do it on the cheap. I will be there for the first two weeks of December (in case anyone else is around). I am pretty set on trying to visit Apo Reef since I have heard great things about it. But the rest is pretty tough.

Originally I had considered Anilao and PG. But well I have been reading the forums and its a tough decision. All of you have posted such great things about Southern Leyete (sp?) that I am really torn about going there. I also know that Anilao as a solo diver might be difficult, but then PG apparently is easier. I would ideally like a variety of things, that being said, I was recently in the Red Sea hanging out with pelagics (saw threshers hence Malapascua not being on the list). I have also seen Whale Sharks before so that is not the strongest pull (even though they are magnificent creatures and would be happy to see them again). Sardine run in Moalboal also sounds very impressive.

Really I am trying to decide whether going to Southern Leyete is worth the hassle or whether PG has pretty comparable stuff.

Thank you all!
I cannot compare PG with Southern Leyete, as I have not been to the latter. I am a big advocate of Puerto Galera however. It has a lot of variety and can certainly be done inexpensively.
Not sure if you have stumbled across my trip report from earlier this year. Here it is: Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019

PG has a tremendous variety and is good value for $$.
I have also been to Dumaguete and its muck diving - It's still enjoyable but not the variety PG has.

There used to be one daily service(banca) from White Beach(?) to Abra de Ilog but it has been suspended due to the new regulation.
It is a long overland trip from PG to Pandan but doable. The trick is to start very early and you will need to change bus/jeepney at least once.
Sabang to PG by jeepney is P20.00. Walk about 100m to the jeepney/shared van terminal to Calapan. Jeepney takes 2hr for P80.00 while van(P100.00) takes half the time but there is no room for large bag and you need to buy another seat or two for the bother. There should be bus/jeepney to San Jose but I have no travelling experience beyond Calapan.

Contact the resort at Padan for suggestion.
Alternatively, fly the first leg from Manila to San Jose.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone.

Yeah I have considered skipping Apo Reef if Southern Leyete is amazing, but I had heard good stuff about it. On top of that I felt like it would be a decent mix since PG apparently has good Macro and some much diving and Apor Reef is meant to be more for pelagics, schools of fish, etc.

Thanks for the info on overland passage prices etc. @Centrals and for the trip report @Trailboss123.

Does anyone think that doing a 2 day stopover in Anilao is worth it. I know I am a solo traveler and the prices would likely be high, but since it is December it might have some people?

Thanks everyone

You can find great budget OP at Anilao and unlike what most people think, there is not only macro diving around there.

You can contact ASDC on their FB page and check their great all inclusive package which is around $100 per day for accommodation, 3 meals and 3 boat dives.
Anilao Scuba Dive Center

I also use a small action camera. You can check my video to see how is reef diving over there (A typhoon just passed by few days before I got there, so visibility was not so great...)

"Really I am trying to decide whether going to Southern Leyete is worth the hassle or whether PG has pretty comparable stuff."

Thank you all![/QUOTE]

In regard to going to South Leyte, in April I took the fast ferry from the port in Cebu to Hilangos, and from there overland to Padre Burgos at the southern tip. I was in Cebu last week and was told at the ferry booking office that the fast ferry to Hilangos is out of service for maintenance . They did not know when it would be back in service. You'd have to get an update from the resorts on how people are getting there now.

Agree with Centrals about Moalboal for tight budget. Look at the dive packages(ac or no ac rooms) with Blue Abyss in Moalboal .

Back
Top Bottom