The Lexy November '05 Dive Report thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

radinator:
I've wondered about a sunrise dive as well. I also wondered about a pre-sunrise night dive, wondering if there would be a slightly different population of night critters about than a post-sunset dive.

Great report!
Ray
... how in the world could we possibly find out???? Hmmmmm.... let me think a deep magma-thought for a moment..... Il Faut Aller Voir!!!!!!

So, Friday Pre-dawn dive, Rad-Po'ssominator Man??? 5:45 AM meet would have us in the dark water by 6:20 awaiting the 6:40 sunrise..... I don't have to be on the Fundies-boat for Catalina until 5PM.

This Friday works, or I'll have to wait until December 23rd. FundieGuppy's gonna be busy for a few weeks, applying ice to the bruised ego (should I be stupid enough to take into the water with me!) AckAck...Rule 6 violation!

Claudette

Thanks Lexy, for being my Dive-Tour Guide again this early Morning! After two weekends of getting my butt handed-back-to-me in a Technical Wreck Penetration Class, diving is fun once again! --absolutely fascinating, just watching the ambient light change at depth with the Sunrise above, and the Reef Life wake-up (or "Work-Shift Change" from night critters to day critters). . . And the cobalt blue of the water: only other time I've seen that color was 230' down in the deep of Kona on The Big Island!
~Kev

HBDiveGirl . . . So:
Friday[/B] Pre-dawn dive, Rad-Po'ssominator Man??? 5:45 AM meet would have us in the dark water by 6:20 awaiting the 6:40 sunrise..... I don't have to be on the Fundies-boat for Catalina until 5PM. . .
Claudette
Claudette,
Save your strength my Friend! Just prepare, concentrate and marshal your resources for your Fundies Weekend. . .
Good Luck!

HBDiveGirl:
... how in the world could we possibly find out???? Hmmmmm.... let me think a deep magma-thought for a moment..... Il Faut Aller Voir!!!!!!

So, Friday Pre-dawn dive, Rad-Po'ssominator Man??? 5:45 AM meet would have us in the dark water by 6:20 awaiting the 6:40 sunrise..... I don't have to be on the Fundies-boat for Catalina until 5PM.

This Friday works, or I'll have to wait until December 23rd. FundieGuppy's gonna be busy for a few weeks, applying ice to the bruised ego (should I be stupid enough to take into the water with me!) AckAck...Rule 6 violation!

Claudette

I'd love to Claudette, but I'll be flying to Cabo this weekend. I guess we'll have to wat, but it does sound like a nice dive for 'next time'.

Enjoy Fundies!

Kevrumbo:
Claudette,
Save your strength my Friend! Just prepare, concentrate and marshal your resources for your Fundies Weekend. . .
Good Luck!
Ray and Kevin,
I'm getting the hint. Slow down. Get enough sleep. Eat my Wheaties. Fundies first. Thanks, both!
Claudette

P.S. Since it's NOT going to kill me, I'll get to be stronger... So a pre-dawn night-dive will be even easier. Let's make it happen :D .

Dive #230

Little Corona Night Dive

Buddy: David B.

Surf: 0

Surge: minimal to none

swell: none

viz: 8-10' with alot of particulate in the water

Temp: 61' Suunto

Max Depth: 28'

Bottom Time: 1:25'

Dave and I made our way down and around the ramp. Entered the water without incident. Took a heading for the bouy over the Eastern Reef, dropped down and made our way. Usual suspects out and about. Highlight of the Eastern Reef was spotting a GIANT Black Sea Hare, 2 lengths of my Light Canon. I had never seen one of these before, I have always seen the brown Sea Hares. Anyway, this gal was the Mother of all Sea Hares...Huge! Also spotted was a very playful and friendly Finescale Triggerfish!!! Way cool! My buddy Jennifer had spotted one of these at the beginning of the summer when we were diving Woods Cove, so it was cool to be able to see one at Little Corona. I might have even seen two of them, unless I saw the same one when I was heading back.

Since we were fairly shallow most of the dive, we had tons of air left after being down for an hour. We decided to explore the Western reef. Really cool stuff there as well. No legal bugs were seen, but we did see three shorts.

Beautiful night, sky full of stars, and a 'shooting star' too! Lots and lots of bioillumenescense too!

All in all, a fun dive. The trek up the hill wasn't too bad either.

Max B and -eJ decided to go looking for squid at the Redondo Monument.

First off we started the evening's adventure with the New Divewagon! Whoopee!
Actually it is Mrs. Shaw's old Mazda Minivan brought back from the dead just for diving! Then I got an old Ovation guitar that I had been planning to add to the "Redondo Monument" artificial reef. I worked (sort of) for Ovation for nigh onto 15 years, so there quite are a few roundback guitars around the house.
Well one less.

This was the maiden voyage for the newly revived dive trolley. Once in the car I was annoyed to find that there was a CD left in the CD player when I went to put a Frank Zappa CD in...
...so I hit Eject and out popped a commercial CD with HUGE 600 point type that read "ej". COOL Mrs. Shaw left an Eric Johnson CD in the car. I pop it in expecting some guitar shredding. Nope, it was Elton John. Yeesh (shudder) no guitar shredding here.

For those of you unawwares, -eJ is my alter ego. Not a sock puppet really. Just the monniker that I use when up to mischief. it is a dash, lower case "e" and upper case "J". 'Spose to be a snorkel user. So seeing a huge ej on a CD in the new dive wagon was quite a shock. I was pretty sure that Elaine Jobin had never worked in the music industry.

I picked an old ovation guitar because even after the little wood that is on it disappears, the big cavernous body should make for a hospitable dwelling. The other choice was a once VERY EXPENSIVE Takamine that had tryst with a forklift.

I trailed it on a jon line starting in the parking lot. The bump bump sound all the way across the asphalt and down the stairs would make any guitar player wretch. There is a particular sound made by the body of an acoustic guitar smacking into somthing. The end result is always damage. So if there were musicians in the parking lot, the would have fainted. No musicians, just Max and me... ;-)
I chose this Axe because it was beyond repair in the first place.

I thought that this thing would be buoyant but it was surprising neutral. Out past the waves the guitar followed me like a small dingy. The jon line was a mistake since it was always wrapping around a fin. It kept bumping into Max and myself implying that we were under yet another sea lion attack.
So I shot some air into the body thinking that it would trail above and behind me like a lift bag. I guess the air leaked out the jack hole since it was an acoustic electric.
It always followed me at fin level.

Anyway, if anyone finds it... the warranty is now void, and it won't tune up.
Best left for the Octopi.

-eJ
(author of "Blenney and the Jet Fins")

Back
Top Bottom