The Left D ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think if you look at things realistically the added entanglement risk from a Billy ring over a regular ring is minimal. Does anyone know anyone who has actually gotten hung up on one?

I don't have any but I have friends who do and I've not seen them get hung up yet.

WW

WreckWriter:
I think if you look at things realistically the added entanglement risk from a Billy ring over a regular ring is minimal. Does anyone know anyone who has actually gotten hung up on one?

I don't have any but I have friends who do and I've not seen them get hung up yet.

WW

I personally dont see it as that much of an entanglement issue, but I dont care for them for the reason I stated above.

By the way Welcome Back WW!

I like DIR concepts because there is always some good proof of why or why not, But you guys have not conviced me yet on this one, If my welded dring is an entaglement hazard then so is my head, but im not going diving with out that any time soon, and the statement about banging into something is even worse of an explanation, If you are banging into stuff, check your technique not your gear, how about if you bang your face into something that would probably hurt aslo.
I have a stage on my left about 90% of the time anyway so its imposible to get it hung up, and yes I dove the standard DIR ring for a few years and with out a doubt as much as some people dont like to here this the welded ring is much much easier to clip a stage to .

scubaguy:
I like DIR concepts because there is always some good proof of why or why not, But you guys have not conviced me yet on this one, If my welded dring is an entaglement hazard then so is my head, but im not going diving with out that any time soon, and the statement about banging into something is even worse of an explanation, If you are banging into stuff, check your technique not your gear, how about if you bang your face into something that would probably hurt aslo.
I have a stage on my left about 90% of the time anyway so its imposible to get it hung up, and yes I dove the standard DIR ring for a few years and with out a doubt as much as some people dont like to here this the welded ring is much much easier to clip a stage to .
The idea is to reduce as much as possible any entangelment hazard. What you propose (to remove your head) would certainly reduce entanglement risk, but for many, it is a detriment to safe diving (however, I have seen some where it is a definite improvement). While given that, in early stages of learning it seems easier to don/doff stages with a rigid d-ring, the truth of the matter is that it is a greater entanglement risk than a d-ring that will lie nearly flat against your chest, however small that increase, it is an increase never the less. And although you may make a large percentage of your dives w/a stage, the idea behind DIR is do it the same way ALL of the time. With or w/o a stage. Keep your rig as tight as possible. Rigid d-rings that stick out are just not as tight as a d-ring that lies flat. Tiny details like this is what set's this system apart. They have been developed by those w/much experience in tough environments for long durations, much more that most of us will ever have the opportunity to do and actually put these deatils to the test. I personally, trust their recommendations over those whose experience is really not comparable.
The learning curve is not tough on this one, take some time to practice and do it right...don't look for gimmicks to overcome a bit practice and training.
We don't neglect the details like this just because in our limited experience we have not run into a situation that would warrant such attention to detail. One aspect of DIR (and as I said earlier, what sets it apart) is this kind of attention to detail and reduction, as much as possible, of any entanglement hazard, however tiny or small. The beauty of it (DIR) is in the details.:D

Brandon
www.scubaguys.com

Chuck,

I use a FredT harness/BP and used to have the billy ring on my belt.

First time through DIRF it stayed on -- the instructors didn't like it, but since I had ID'd myself as a rec diver, they didn't make me get rid of it. It is definitely easier clipping on/off.

Second time through DIRF last summer it got taken off. The instructor probably could have lived with it, but I just decided I didn't like the slightly clunkier look and feel of Fred's rings. For those that haven't seen them, his billyrings have a square profile (vs. cylindrical for most D rings).

-C

BCS:
The idea is to reduce as much as possible any entangelment hazard. What you propose (to remove your head) would certainly reduce entanglement risk, but for many, it is a detriment to safe diving (however, I have seen some where it is a definite improvement). While given that, in early stages of learning it seems easier to don/doff stages with a rigid d-ring, the truth of the matter is that it is a greater entanglement risk than a d-ring that will lie nearly flat against your chest, however small that increase, it is an increase never the less. And although you may make a large percentage of your dives w/a stage, the idea behind DIR is do it the same way ALL of the time. With or w/o a stage. Keep your rig as tight as possible. Rigid d-rings that stick out are just not as tight as a d-ring that lies flat. Tiny details like this is what set's this system apart. They have been developed by those w/much experience in tough environments for long durations, much more that most of us will ever have the opportunity to do and actually put these deatils to the test. I personally, trust their recommendations over those whose experience is really not comparable.
The learning curve is not tough on this one, take some time to practice and do it right...don't look for gimmicks to overcome a bit practice and training.
We don't neglect the details like this just because in our limited experience we have not run into a situation that would warrant such attention to detail. One aspect of DIR (and as I said earlier, what sets it apart) is this kind of attention to detail and reduction, as much as possible, of any entanglement hazard, however tiny or small. The beauty of it (DIR) is in the details.:D

Brandon
www.scubaguys.com

I am actually not refering to the Left chest Dring , I am refering to the left dring on the Belt, although I still dont see as entaglement hazard if one were to wear one on the chest but on the same hand I would see no reason to put one there ( Plus it would look pretty strange).
Anyway I like my big ugly non DIR left ( Belt ) billy ring.

I figured you meant the left hip ring.

As others said, I believe it's considered a greater entanglement hazard to have the fixed rings. I'm not necessarily sure I agree... as when you have something clipped to it, it'll be sticking out anyway, and the standard D-rings stick out more than the FredT billy rings.

I may feel differently if I inadvertantly prove myself wrong; but I've not had issues yet.

i got one, too. being horizontal when diving and with an spg attached a standard d-ring will also not lie flat against the diver. therefore, i don't see a significantly higher entanglement hazard. also, having a billy ring allows you to increase your credibility when defending DIR on scubaboard because you can state that you are not 100% DIR. it shows you're a rebel. :winky:

docmartin:
i got one, too. being horizontal when diving and with an spg attached a standard d-ring will also not lie flat against the diver. therefore, i don't see a significantly higher entanglement hazard. also, having a billy ring allows you to increase your credibility when defending DIR on scubaboard because you can state that you are not 100% DIR. it shows you're a rebel. :winky:

Rebel with a cause..................if you will..........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom