The learning curve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fuzzmutton:
Walter...dude!...you're harsh.

True.

Fuzzmutton:
I thought the post was hilarious for it's humor and enjoyed it immensely for the honesty.

Me too.

DaytonaDave:
SunGod... what boat were you on? I'm taking my first boat dive on Sunday... we're going out on SeaDogs for my AOW training. It won't be my first salt water dive, but it is my first boat dive. I'm very much looking forward to it.

I can't remember what wreck we're going to (he told me, but I'll be darned if I can remember). I think it starts with an 'M'.

You have a positive attitude about learning from your mistakes, so I would venture that you'll be a very good diver with experience. I know that I make mistakes, I just try to keep reinforcing the lessons that they teach me.

Oh, and paying for your buddy to make up for this dive is the right thing to do. I would have done the same.

It was site three on the seadogs boat. Maybe the manacoa or some thing like that. Just be aware of which end on the wreck they anchor, I thought I was going to the second half of the wreck but instead was heading for open water. good luck Thanks for the support.

Thanks to all for the support and even for the grammar and spelling lessons. I try to write in the same way that I would tell the story if I were in person. I'm surprised there were so many typo's. I run it though spell and grammar check twice and proof read it once, but it was late and I was exhausted. Please forgive my poor PC, It can only write half as fast as I think. Writing, like scuba, sometimes requires constructive criticism.

There were critical points made by other members, please know that I had to significantly edit my post to get it under the 10,000 character limit set by SB.

1. There was a set dive plan for both dives.

2. The penetration into the wreck was not as technical as it sounded.

3. I considerate opting out for the second dive

4. All of the ascents were good and included a safety stop.

5. The difficulties on the second dive were due to my lack of attention

6. Octopie is something I added for fun

7. Scott was a good sport about it and looks forward to the next trip.

8. It was written for amusement and published here for my own personal enjoyment of being able to laugh and learn, even at my self.

Thanks again.

Barracuda can bite and I actually know one person who got a bite on her heel from a Barracuda over 20 years ago. It is so rare that you can ignore the possibility.

fairybasslet:
In fact, they will go out of their way to avoid you, especially if you have a camera.
It's true! Cameras have to be the scariest thing to wildlife in general. You set yourself up and are lucky enough to catch something awesome in the happening. Then you gingerly haul out that accursed and infernal photographic device - the camera - and all hell breaks loose: fish scatter, the "octupie" inks itself, the Meerkat cannot make it off its lookout shrub quickly enough, the lion lies down in the tall grass, and all you're inevitably left with is the cackling Kookaburras in some obscure tree someplace. Man! The curse of the photograper can only be likened to Chinese water torture. :D :rofl3: :coffee:

ReefMongoose:
It's true! Cameras have to be the scariest thing to wildlife in general. You set yourself up and are lucky enough to catch something awesome in the happening. Then you gingerly haul out that accursed and infernal photographic device - the camera - and all hell breaks loose: fish scatter, the "octupie" inks itself, the Meerkat cannot make it off its lookout shrub quickly enough, the lion lies down in the tall grass, and all you're inevitably left with is the cackling Kookaburras in some obscure tree someplace. Man! The curse of the photograper can only be likened to Chinese water torture. :D :rofl3: :coffee:
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Hey we all f-up. Nobody got hurt. You'll get to dive again and that's all that matters.

This is why we dive with a buddy and why some people refuse to dive with a buddy hehe. Personally diving with a buddy has saved me from some of the same issues you had on this trip.

Sometimes nothing goes right on dive trip. Write it off as an experience. :)

To any one still interested in this thread. I was able to take scott up to Devils Den the following weekend and all went well. It was a great dive and we had an absolute blast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom