The LAST thing you want to hear your DM say...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Real story! Short version.

Came right up right to dive platform, after long shallow dive, looking for DM to give him my camera. He is in an agitated state on dive deck talking to my wife and captain. I hear wife say he's ok; don't worry about him - captain laughs. Hear DM say "He must be dead; he's been down for almost 2 hours. We need to form a search party." I don't know they are talking about me so I yell will somebody take my camera. DM turns around and then his eyes assume the diameter of salad plates. Then I realize they are talking about me and I almost drown laughing. Captain and wife are rolling up on the dive deck; DM begins practicing all of the sailor lingo he knows --- several times.:D

Finally, after DM catches breath and takes my camera, DM asks how much air I have remaining. After I show him my gauge, DM repeats sailor impression. Rest of week, DM when he would see me would shake his head, look down, and start muttering to himself.

Pardon senior, no habla Englese ??:wink:

tedj01:
Real story! Short version.

Came right up right to dive platform, after long shallow dive, looking for DM to give him my camera. He is in an agitated state on dive deck talking to my wife and captain. I hear wife say he's ok; don't worry about him - captain laughs. Hear DM say "He must be dead; he's been down for almost 2 hours. We need to form a search party." I don't know they are talking about me so I yell will somebody take my camera. DM turns around and then his eyes assume the diameter of salad plates. Then I realize they are talking about me and I almost drown laughing. Captain and wife are rolling up on the dive deck; DM begins practicing all of the sailor lingo he knows --- several times.:D

Finally, after DM catches breath and takes my camera, DM asks how much air I have remaining. After I show him my gauge, DM repeats sailor impression. Rest of week, DM when he would see me would shake his head, look down, and start muttering to himself.

Still trying to figure out what's so funny about a divemaster thinking he lost a diver.

beautybelow:
Still trying to figure out what's so funny about a divemaster thinking he lost a diver.
Sorry, I guess I should have told the long story. I am going to try to relate more of the story.

I later learned DM had already talked to captain, several times, about length of this dive and that I must be in trouble; and captain had repeatedly told him the same thing my wife had ; basically don't worry about him he is fine. DM had talked with with my wife multiple times about this same thing.

DM had dove with the wife and I the day before and left us about 40 - 45 minutes into the dive partially because of air and also to work dive deck. I checked his air before he left to make sure he was ok to get back to boat. We went back to the boat with him because he was low enough to be under our comfort level to let him return alone; then continued our dive. We did our standard 75 - 90 minute dive and DM was working deck when we came up. He even asked us how much air we had left. So he did have prior knowledge of our diving capablities.

Funny part was he decided I must be dead based on his rate of air consumption not mine. Even though he had been assured I was ok by my standard buddy and the captain who also knew me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom