"The last dive"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe it was the time of night I read it....
Maybe just my waypoint of the highway of life....
But it went on and on and on....
ZZZZZZzzzzzzz............

Come to think of it though....
Most books do that to me now....
Seems I remember it was a very sad story....
Both above and below the water....
Dysfunctional comes to mind....
Wonder if they'll make a movie out of it?!?!?
I'd go to the movie....

Another diving book I enjoyed was Deep Descent : Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria by Kevin F. McMurray

Less of a story, more of compilation of incidents around diving the Doria.

I agree. I actually thought "Deep Descent" was better written. Though Chowdry's book was an interesting read, my thought throughout was "Here's to guys who'll die from testosterone poisoning."

FWIW, "Deep Decent" was a very good read. Taken together, I think it puts a perspective on "The Last Dive" that is needed. I think Bernie sensationalized some parts of his book more than he needed to. It was interesting how events that were referenced in both books were described differently. For example, how diving continued after John Ormsby's death.

Yes, the Rouses did a very stupid dive. Hearsay has it that Chris and Chrissey's relationship wasn't as over the top as represented by Bernie. In "Deep Decent", I found the description of how Billy Dean was effected by John Ormsby's death especially well written.

Read both.

I to read both of the books and found them both excellent reading. The only problem I had with them was they were saddening because of the amount of people who died. Definently makes me think. I just yesterday read that one of the people mentioned in both books Steve a cave diver instructor in Flordia cave system was found drowned in a cave approx. May of 2001. I was sorry to read it.

Since the Rouses' attempt, have there been any successful dives on that U-boat? Were they looking for a log book or was it a code machine? About a year ago I read an article about the mishappen dive in Adventure magazine. It stirred some interest in the story

Originally posted by JustAddWater
Since the Rouses' attempt, have there been any successful dives on that U-boat? Were they looking for a log book or was it a code machine? About a year ago I read an article about the mishappen dive in Adventure magazine. It stirred some interest in the story
They were trying to find something to identify the sub.

In fact there was an entire Nova special ("Hitler's Lost Sub") where they recovered a spares box that had the U boat number on it (U-869).

In order to penetrate the engine comparment, one diver went no-mount with a single AL80 past some debris and got trapped for almost his entire gas supply. On the second attempt he made it back to the engine room where the box was found.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/lostsub/index.html

To purchase video:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/shop/novavidhom09tech.html#WG2712

Roak

Originally posted by aposhark
you got that right!
I was in a quarry in the UK and police divers often go to depth to see if their regs freeze up. Seems a bit silly to me, but, I'm not diving for a living.

You sure about that - I guess the quarry you mean in Dorothea (in N Wales)? HSE regulations are adherred to STRICTLY in the UK - for example, a diver died in Dorothea prior to Christmas. The police divers dived to 55m - their MAXIMUM allowed limit under HSE regulations. When they couldn't locate him they used a ROV - found the body at 90m and fished it up on the ROV to within 55m so a police diver could retreive him.

I doubt any SANE police diver would risk himself to test whether his reg will freeze. Still, you find a lot of people diving at Dorothea who CLAIM to be someone!

I watched Hitlers lost sub 3 times!
It was a great program. I thought that diver that got traped
was done for. I think his buddy thought so too when he had to surface and leave him in there!
Rick L

I have also read "The Last Dive" and "Deep Desent" both I thought were very well written and informative. Regarding "The Last Dive" I believe it was written in a personnal and nonpersonal way. Bernie shared his feelings about the loss, but also looked at it from the point of view were they were no longer useing their heads and dove as desperate artifact hunters . He analized them as divers and well as father and son. To make a long story short I believe it was written very well, and not just one sided.

I would also like to recommend another diving book I enjoyed, "Neutral Bouyancy" by Tim Ecott

Back
Top Bottom