The heat is on... someone please turn it off! Shore diving in Key Largo.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
If you have read about any of my Scuba classes, you know that I like to do shore dives with a student before progressing to boat dives. I do this for several reasons, first it's cheaper for the student as I usually hit Pennekamp's Cannon Beach and it's $7 to get in. Second, I find that shore dives are less stressful for the student. They can concentrate more on their skills and not on boat etiquette and they don't have to answer to a Captain's time line. We dive when they're ready, not when someone tells us to get off of their boat. As an instructor, I take the time to teach them about shore currents (Long and Rip), how to read them and why they need to know it. Over all, it's just a lot more relaxed and a great learning environment... at least if the temps aren't too hot.

Two weeks ago, while diving Pennekamp, I recorded an absolute record high temp for me while diving: 97F. It was 91 on the surface and then we experienced a reverse thermocline and horrible visibility. Moreover, the stench of sulfur made my eyes burn. Half way through the first dive, and I called it. My solid divers in the pool were train wrecks in this crud. This was nuts!

Last week, I took my AOW student to Jule's Undersea Lodge for his training. It wasn't as unpleasant as Cannon Beach, but I did record 91F. Lots of fish to see, and we got all of our work done.

This week, there was just no question where I should take my OW student and it was back to Jule's. Unfortunately, someone peed in our pool and the bottom temps were 94F. There's just a touch of sulfur in the water and my eyes are burning post diving. Worse, the vis is way down and most of the fishies are gone. We accomplished what we needed to do, and Natalia had fun but the heat just about wore me out. I'm ready for fall!

It is hot elsewhere as well. Earlier this summer while diving in New Mexico for a tech class, the temperatures were a little above 100° F on shore. With water temperatures around 60° F, we were, of course, wearing dry suits. We could not wait to get in the water, I assure you.

This past Wednesday afternoon I was doing an OW class just outside Denver. Temperatures on shore were in the mid 90s. Again, I was wearing a dry suit because of the water temperatures. My undergarments were wet with sweat.

We get the benefit of cooler water, although the late summer algae bloom does destroy visibility. Having to wear all that extra thermal protection before you get in the water is not at all pleasant.

I am diving Puerto Vallarta this week. The air is hot, the pool is hot, and the ocean is hot. While it is nice to dive in 84 degree water without a wetsuit, a part of me can't wait to get back to nj, don my wetsuit and jump into some cold water. Heck, once above the thermocline, 70 degree water in a 7mm feels tropical anyway.

Ahh the smell of rotting seaweed:)

Pete: naive question here, but is the sulfur (or sulfur smell) from rotting stuff/vegetation in the water?
Precisely. It's like swimming in rotten egg water. :D

Pete, the Key Largo chamber of commerce has a price on your head right now.

They shouldn't. The real reefs are hot, but still diveable. Unfortunately, this is the second year in a row where the reefs have been exposed to water over 86F for over a month. That means coral bleaching and ultimately their death. Not good. If you didn't believe in global warming before, here's ample proof. This could turn into a crisis soon.

I was, of course, joking about the chamber of commerce thing, but the situation you are describing is indeed ominous. It;s a lot more important than getting sweaty in a dry suit.

I am diving Puerto Vallarta this week. The air is hot, the pool is hot, and the ocean is hot. While it is nice to dive in 84 degree water without a wetsuit, a part of me can't wait to get back to nj, don my wetsuit and jump into some cold water. Heck, once above the thermocline, 70 degree water in a 7mm feels tropical anyway.

84F water is not "hot." It's 3 mm wetsuit temp--perfect.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom