The "Hate Symbols Database" expands to include "OK" hand gesture and "Bowlcut" hairstyle...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe we basically agree, but are a bit at odds with the arguments. Sorry for trying to inject a bit of perspective here.

Some swastikas are innocuous, some aren't. That's my point.

Which was my point as well. I assumed that you all would realize my intent. Obviously, I was wrong and so I'm thankful to those of you that expanded upon to explain more fully.

(I never cease to be amazed)

No one has talked about the haircut yet?

Will the Beatles be added to the "banned" music and literature list that exists?

Add Jim Carrey's and Jeff Daniels' portrayal of two Nazis in the epic documentary, "Dumb & Dumber."

Sorry, its gotta go, too!

Is it possible to get more silly than some of those posting in this thread?

The Beatles? SRSLY? Context matters, folks. Even a swastika can be completely innocuous given the right context.

Beyond that, back in Turkey 15 years ago, the OK sign was used as a kind of game. When someone showed it to you and you looked, you earned the right to get punched (usually on the shoulder or lap). Can anyone guess what the symbol expressed?

Coincidentally, check out this article, just read this quote for grins: "To add yet another layer of nuance, some people use the “okay” sign as part of the “Circle Game,” in which a person makes a circle with their fingers and holds their hand below their waist. If someone looks at the circle, the first person punches their shoulder. The game was popularized by the TV series “Malcolm in the Middle.”

Just curious, has anyone ever witnessed the okay sign being used for any group (other than divers)? One guy flashing the okay sign coming out of a courtroom could just as easily just mean "I'm ok" as opposed to "go white nationalists".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom