The "Hate Symbols Database" expands to include "OK" hand gesture and "Bowlcut" hairstyle...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverintheflesh

Contributor
Reaction score
I'M SPEECHLESS...!!!

The "Hate Symbols Database" expands to include "OK" hand gesture and "Bowlcut" hairstyle, reports TIME magazine...

The Anti-defimation League has added 36 to their online database of hate symbols used by white supremacists and other far-right extremists....

The scuba industry will have to create a new one...

Don't even get me started on the Beatles...!!!

#hatesymbols #hatesymbolsdatabase #OK #okay #timemagazine #ADL #antidefimationleague #bowlcut #bowlcuthairstyle #scuba #scubadiving #tdidivers #tdisdi #naui #padi #divessi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is my new hand gesture for "okay" and "are you okay?"

drumroll, please...

Words and symbols have many meanings in many groups. That a cow is not a good term to use for a large female does not stop me from using the word cow on my inlaws farm. Some birds are cocks, some dogs are bitches, and when diving it is hard to photograph a slippery dick since they are often moving. That these and a thousand other words have other meanings in other groups is irrelevant to me.

It doesn't mean we can't still use it. It is just saying that this symbol is being used by hate groups as a symbol of their idiocy, but not that anyone who uses it is automatically a racist. If anything, we should continue to use it "properly" and not let them have it.

I'm a University of Texas alum. When you see our fans at a football game, they aren't all making that particular hand symbol because they showing you how much they love rock music or the devil.:rocker: Context is key.

Will our liability insurance cover us if we are sued for hate speech? All I know is I'm not using it anymore! I already invented a new hand signal for okay..

Total Hogwash!

Unfortunately not. My sons had a bunch of their mates here yesterday and I noticed the OK being thrown around with a grin (in Aus it's not I hate you but more a playful mate, you're a dickhead) and thought cool - my sons do pay attention sometimes to what I do.

So I flashed them all a big OK sign as I went to make a chai and they all lost it laughing.

I felt foolish.

Smug little millennial bunch of morons can't even come up with their own signs and are too dumb to know they're stealing ones already in use by a much smarter and cooler bunch of people.

Are they putting this up to the same level as parted hair swept to the side with a very narrow trimmed mustache and a sieg heil hand side.
You’ve got to be kidding me,
This is preposterous!
Moe Shepard had a bowl cut along with the character Howard Wallowitz on Big Bang Theory, and both are Jewish. The beatles?
The OK sign has been used as just that, OKAY, for many years. Nothing more.
What about the middle finger, do they know what that means?
This is beyond stupid.

More pearl clutching. Guess what, Google Maps is covered in swastikas in certain parts of the world.

The swaztika decorates a number of homes in Bali.

Back
Top Bottom