The "Hate Symbols Database" expands to include "OK" hand gesture and "Bowlcut" hairstyle...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OK sign also means "a$$hole" in Brazil and a few other places.

DW

It doesn’t. The OK sign means OK in Brazil as well.

There is, however, a very similar sign meaning something like F...U...

If you start with an OK sign, turn your hand 180°, with your pinky towards your body and the ring made with your thumb towards the person you are doing the sign. Usually done with the hand about chest level.

Im going tohave a problem in fine resteraunts. I do the OK thing with both hands when you look at the left you see teh letter b on the right you see the letter d, the b and d are the letters to remind you which side you bread goes on and which side the drink goes on. knowing that insures you dont grab your neighbors glass.

I might grab Aldo Raine if he's still alive to carve a couple of swastikas in my forehead and go backpacking in Israel

Nonsense. The existence of such a database is extremely divisive. Time should be ashamed.

Well, I'm not going to give the New York Times my info or my $$ to read the story. I agree with @kelemvor. The whole idea is ridiculous - but it's also how social construction of reality happens. If you want to see social construction of reality in action just watch the 1982 Moon Unit Zappa song "Valley Girl" - you'll see where the word "like" became the PITA it is today!!! Prior to then (as far as I, like, know), we used the word to mean "similar to" - now it's a place holder while we think or pause or 'whatever' it is we use it for (and yes, I do it too, grrrr). My point is, once someone has begun to use a signal, phrase or word in a new way, the meaning of it changes too. I strongly dislike the reality of it and I will fight to use the 'ok' sign to mean 'ok'. But it may be one of those 'it is what it is' things in the end. :(

Years ago, my college ex had been traveling through Europe, with about three shirts to her name -- one being the familiar "shaka" symbol from a surf shop in Hawai'i. She mentioned that she had been treated rudely in Italy and I asked whether she had been wearing that shirt, at any time, which resembled a gesture that your partner is sleeping around; that you're a cuckold.

Obviously, we'll have to substitute a few gestures, within the diving community, so as not to offend delicate sensibilities; and I, for one, nominate the far le fiche or mano in fico, though it's not as visible from a distance as some others which immediately spring to mind . . .

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar . . ."

-- Sigmund Freud (apocryphal)

Attachments

• IMG_1971.JPG
    IMG_1971.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 54
It doesn’t. The OK sign means OK in Brazil as well.

There is, however, a very similar sign meaning something like F...U...

If you start with an OK sign, turn your hand 180°, with your pinky towards your body and the ring made with your thumb towards the person you are doing the sign. Usually done with the hand about chest level.

Finally I learned something useful in this thread

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom