The Great Travis Traverse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in Amarillo, but have family in Austin and can possibly make weekends that are organized in advance. I can do surface support, shallow support, and would be up for some of the deep support. For deep support I would feel more comfortable diving with my will be team member a few times to get used to diving as a team with him/her. :)

May I suggest that any jumps off the main line be marked with double arrow cave style with 10 feet to the actual jump line with a new stake to keep T's off of the main line for safety.

This way when a traverse team comes through dragging bookoo gas in bad vis they won't cross perpendicular lines that could pose an entaglement hazard in bad vis.

To use a jump, tie in cave style to main like, run out some line, and do a sweep for the jump stake/line.

The jumps could then be put up on a survey as "boat line jump" or whatever feature the jump line may lead to.

This would help keep the main line cleaner and keep things safer for when vis down there goes into the inches.

I'll put my vote in for keeping the "main line" at the last "wall drop" on the river bed to keep it out of the OW territory, if the main line is secured at the last wall it would be easy for anyone to find, drop to the wall and follow the wall until you cross the line. One thing is for sure, if it is easy to follow from shallow down to this line, it will be torn out over and over.

FIXXERVI6:
May I suggest that any jumps off the main line be marked with double arrow cave style with 10 feet to the actual jump line with a new stake to keep T's off of the main line for safety.

This way when a traverse team comes through dragging bookoo gas in bad vis they won't cross perpendicular lines that could pose an entaglement hazard in bad vis.

To use a jump, tie in cave style to main like, run out some line, and do a sweep for the jump stake/line.

The jumps could then be put up on a survey as "boat line jump" or whatever feature the jump line may lead to.

This would help keep the main line cleaner and keep things safer for when vis down there goes into the inches.

I'll put my vote in for keeping the "main line" at the last "wall drop" on the river bed to keep it out of the OW territory, if the main line is secured at the last wall it would be easy for anyone to find, drop to the wall and follow the wall until you cross the line. One thing is for sure, if it is easy to follow from shallow down to this line, it will be torn out over and over.

Agreed. I think we should keep the main traverse line just a single straight shot, like the gold line in Florida caves. I also want a double arrow at 2500' (or whatever the survey says 1/2 way is), just for giggles. We should mark 100' or maybe 500' intervals also.

We will have to find some way to anchor down lines for the mid lake boat sections also. Obviously, tying them off to a mud stake isn't going to work. Anything heavy dropped will destroy vis in the short term, so I'm not sure. I like the idea of having them say 5' off the main line so there is less chance of confusion (all though, even in 0 vis, it is going to be hard to mistake any line going straight up as a line staying at depth!).

So for this mud stake, what specs has been working, 6' long PVC, sway, inch in diameter? notch cut in the top for line tie offs??

doing many underwater archaeology surveys in Matagorda bay, we have use tie down anchors. These work great. They screw into the lake floor and provide a loop at the top for the line to pass through. They are more commonly used for securing trailers.
new_tie_down_b.jpg

You can get longer ones with more threads for better security. We have left these in the salt water for several years without having to replace them....

LVX:
doing many underwater archaeology surveys in Matagorda bay, we have use tie down anchors. These work great. They screw into the lake floor and provide a loop at the top for the line to pass through. They are more commonly used for securing trailers.
new_tie_down_b.jpg

You can get longer ones with more threads for better security. We have left these in the salt water for several years without having to replace them....

I never "tested" the thickenss of the silt on the bottom, would these tie down anchors work in the super soft stuff? I assume they would have to be really long to work in the soft stuff.

Talk about killing the vis setting one of these things :)

The tie down anchor looks impressive, but I think it is overkill for the mud stakes (and expensive for something we need 50 of!) but would probably work pretty well for the surface lines when needed since the screw would make it more substantial.

What do these cost?

I used 1" schedule 80 PVC last time in 3' and 4' sections with a notch at the top. The 4' sections were better, but even that seemed flimsy in the muck. I could have shoved it all the way in, then my arm after it and still been in very soft silt.

I'm guessing we will use 4' sections for the initial install (long spacing, just to get the line in) and later teams who are ONLY worried about the stakes will come install longer 6' stakes. Or, maybe 4' will work great. In either case, the line team will put in minimal stakes. The stake team will put in the additional supports as needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom