The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I voted 1-25%, because I've bought very little online in dollar terms. But if you include phone and mail orders, the percentage would easily fit the 50%-75% range.

I try to support my LDS as much as possible, but being a poor college student I need to rent at the LDS and then buy from online sources. Some of the onling deals can't be beat.

BigDiver

I buy about 50% online I cant beat the prices locally. I do tend to try and buy form my LSD but his prices are way more. When you tell him you can get it on-line for half he says fine then go get your training there too. He really is not a bad guy just a small shop that finds it hard to compete. I just dont tell him and everything works out fine. I bought my last BC and nitrox computer from him and he gave me the nitrox class with it. I still spent about 75 dollars more that way but I feel it was well worth it to keep the guy who fills my tank happy.

This is one of the greatest ongoing debates in the diving community. The poll results now and in a short while is most interesting.

I have never used a online dive store but a may use one next time.
To buy my next toy,:)
If the price is right.

In the UK the online retailers offer huge savings over the MRSP and I would buy anything which didn't involve the fit i.e. wetsuits and BCs, over the web. Even for items which require fitting the fact that you can buy exactly the same item online means that you can usually negotiate the price down with a LDS. As a recent example I bought a Sea Quest Pro QD+ for £285 against a MRSP of £359 at a LDS simply by quoting the price you could get it for over the net, in this case £275 plus post. The only thing I find amazing is that some people don't seem aware of the online retailers. A husband and wife couple were just paying the full £359 x 2 for his and hers Pro QD+s as I arrived. I've also just bought a Scubapro Scotia Semi Dry for £260 compared with a MRSP of £340 from another LDS by quoting the web price of £240.

I understand the need to support your LDS but unfortunately dive gear is a commodity just like any other and the online retailers are just applying the lessons they've learn't from other large retail multiples.

Ok everybody I've heard different opinions from everyone on buying scuba gear online from it's ok, to that's a no no. Let me tell you first off why I am looking at gear oline in the first place. My nearest LDS is 200 miles away. Now I looking at buying some gear from Mares, the nearest Mares dealer from me is 500 miles away. So traveling back and forth to try out gear is out of the question. I am looking at three companies that carry the gear I need, Leisure Pro, Diveinn, and Simply Scuba. I have never ordered from any of these companies before. Does anyone have any experience with these companies? Do they warranty the products they sell? Will the product manufacturer honor my purchase from these companies on a warranty clame? Are there any problems getting gear from Diveinn and Simply Scuba into the country? if you have any comments or thoughts about my situation I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.:huh:

Thanks

There is lots of info on this as it's been discussed numerous times in the past but to give you a short answer. Most online shops at least Leisure Pro and DiveInn do offer there own warranty equal to the manufacturers warranty. Only drawback is you have to send the items back to them for warranty service.

Dealt with both of these companies, never had a problem, except for a broken maskbox with my Cressi Big Eyes mask - emailed LeisurePro and they dropped a free one into the mail the next day. Couldn't ask for more. Expect to cop a customs duty invoice from DHL if you order stuff from DiveInn and the order is over $200 - but it's only 4% or so. It worked out about $20 on a $500 order I placed with them.

Haven't dealt with Simply Scuba, but from what I gather they're reputable. Contact each company individually, or check out their websites, for warranty info - basically you're covered by the place you buy from rather than the local distributer. But warranties generally aren't a problem - there is a thread going at the moment somewhere with a poll regarding warranties being required on new gear - do a search for it, and judge for yourself if you're happy with the chances of having to deal with warranty issues via mail.

cheers

Ben

I bought my Vyper from simplyscuba last year and was happy with the results -- and have heard positive feedback on them from others as well.

Regarding warranty -- for most products, you will likely have to send them back to the UK if you are looking for "covered" (i.,e. free) warranty-related service. Doesn't sound like this is such a big deal for you, since you would have to drive at least 200 miles for service anyway.

For your situation, ordering via the internet is no doubt the best option (assuming you know what you want and can handle any required assembly).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom