The great back inflate vs. jacket BC debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got my Seaquest Balance which is a back inflation BCD. On my first dive with it it tended to float me face down alittle. But on my second dive with it I adjusted the wieghts to 1/3 in the back and 1/3 in each pouch (it is weight integrated) and the problem was solved.

I loved it after that. I felt much more streamlined. Even the surface swimming was a lot less tiring.

I would try to test one first if I was you I have heard some people say that they never can get the weights straighted out and still float alittle face down. I didn't find this to be a problem though

For me the choice was clear. Hope this helps.

Chad

I have found another way to correct for the "face plant" tendency: if you pull the shoulder straps "too tight" so the BC rides high on your body, it does bring the center of gravity upwards more causing the forward rotation. This was happening at Athens today, but when I loosened the straps and pulled the Ranger back down my torso (about 3-4 inches), it behaved just fine while on the surface.

Tom: BJ and I thought of you as we swam around at Athens today. So at least you were diving with us in "spirit".

Hello I just wanted to drop a note on this subject, the u.s. Navy goes through some pretty tough testing on bc's and the ones that pass are placed on the ANU list (Authorized for Navy Use list) the URL is http://www.nedu.navsea.navy.mil/anu_list.htm and click on the link in the center of the page. this will take you to another page letting you know you need Acrobat Reader to view the ANU, if you already have Acrobat then move on to view ANU. refer to the link for Scuba Equipment it will enlighten many on the questions that are plastered all over the board. check it out it is pretty clear if you have any questions feel free to drop me a line.

rainreg

..before I got my Zeagle Ranger. I checked the board and had gotten comments from Warhammer and TexasMike and some of the others. They gave me some reassurances and some tips on overcoming the faceplanting thing. I went ahead and bought my back inflate BC and I love it! The freedom of movement of your arms and torso with the back inflate BCs, in my opinion, is much better than the vest style. To be honest with you, since I've had my Ranger, the faceplanting has never been a problem and I have not had to really do anything to compensate for it. If I fill the bladder up with alot of air, sure, I have to deal with faceplanting. I am pretty close to(if not totally) neutrally bouyant without any air in my BC. To remain afloat at the surface, I only need to add enough air to my BC to assure that I'm positively buoyant(unless maybe I would be retrieving heavy objects from the bottom or something). In my situation, I've never really had to add so much air that the faceplanting becomes an issue. I would recommend trying out both types before you buy to see which you personally prefer. I love my back inflate!

Like night and day. A harness and wing is even more dramatic, IMO. Proper weighting is critical (as it should be anyway), but once you have it figured out, there is no problem on the surface.

Take care.

Mike

I use a BP and 36 lb wing, and LOVE it. I keep a keel (tank) weight of about 6 lbs, and the surface/face thing is no longer an issue.

As stated before, the feel of streamlining is pretty amazing. Try both jacket and BP, and I think you'll agree that the freedom of movement is extraordinary with the BP.

Hi,
I am looking to buy my first non rental BCD. What are the pros and cons of the Back-Buoyancy BCs VS Jacket-Style BCs?
I would have posted this in the bcd forum but looking there was just confusing with all the technical terms. I assume this question is generic enough to post here.
As with most areas of scuba with 2 ways to go I am sure that there will be people who have a very strong preference one way or the other. I would appreciate answers in "real English" so I don't need an acronym dictionary to decipher the answers.
I realize that if there was a clear cut answer one way or the other all BCDs would be made the same way so there must be pros and cons to each.
The one pro of jacket style that I know is stability on the surface as opposed to stability underwater for the back style. Is this a major issue for someone who is very comfortable with his swimming ability?

My second question is in regards to integrated weights. Are they worth getting? Pros? Cons?

Thanks in advance

Where are you planning to dive? What will you be wearing... thin wetsuit, thick wetsuit, drysuit? How much weight do you need?

Zept

I wouldn't use a jacket style BC if you gave it to me. Heck, I wouldn't even pass it on to a friend for free, much less sell it.

Back-flotation, or more specifically a backplate wings set-up, is the way to go, IMESHO. :)

Try renting both types before buying to see the difference.

Weight-integrated is a matter of personal choice. Some people swear by them; others prefer weightbelts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom