The great back inflate vs. jacket BC debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with a Ranger, which is a back inflated BC. I used a Scubapro Classic during my OW dives, which is a jacket style BC. I decided to purchase the Ranger primarily because I didn't like not being able to see below my chest area when I used the jacket style BC - all the exercises that involved taking out the weights, taking off the BC, etc. were done by feel only - I couldn't see a thing.

I love my Ranger - I can see everything I need to, and I like the "free" feeling around my shoulders/arms area. As far as feeling like you're being pushed on your face, I really haven't had any problems with that. Before I bought the Ranger, I read advice here on the board, which advised not overfilling the BC - works for me. If you're at the surface with a back inflated BC, just lean back a bit.

I have no idea what the "hybrid" means as far as the back inflated BC, but I would venture a guess that it means it's a cross from the backplate/wings and a jacket BC.

HI there
My Wife uses a Lady Diva and she has nothing but good things to say about it. She has been diving for 10 years and says it is the most comfortable BC she has ever worn..

Cheers
Chris
PADI MSDT
http://homepage.mac.com/sydney_diver

I have yet to hear anyone complain about the Diva. I had the Ranger mentioned by Chepar, but my experience was different; I hated it. When the $600 air-trapper was stolen, I got a nice simple jacket-style for $125 & felt like a better diver immediately.

I don't like integrated (I may feel differently if I was carrying, oh, 6 lb of lead, but I had 32 lb & the BC with tank was completely unmanageable.) For a newer diver, I think a simple jacket with no complex features is most workable, most balanced on the surface, & easiest to dump & inflate evenly.

Tahoe is cold, & eventually you may move on to a drysuit & tech configuration. The Diva may or may not grow with these changes, but it will always be great for warmer water dives & have a resale value. You don't have to limit yourself to girlie BCs just because u r a girl, though. Try some others for fit; that's what really counts.

I have a Diva LX and I love it. I have no problem with my face in the water at the surface, I just lean back when I'm floating. In the beginning, I had some problems with air getting trapped. Someone I was diving with recommended that I roll on my side and put up the hose when I need to get rid of air and it works like a charm!
I really like the weight integrated system (the weight belt used to twist around on my waist). So far, I have used this BC in cold water quarry and tropical warm water. I barely know that I have it on- it is that comfortable! With the rental jacket BC, I was so inflated in the front, I could never see a thing when I was reaching into a pocket. I feel I can move much easier with the Diva. Just my 2 cents worth.

Hi I just bought my Diva LX yseterday!! Havent used it in the water yet, hehehe! But the part of Pediatron's question that I dont know the answer of is .. what is a HYBRID bc? Thats diff from weight integrated.. I THINK its something like half back inflation and half jacket style? or no?

A rear inflation BC will normally be more cofortable and easier to use underwater. Many experienced divers prefer them. The face down on the surface problem can usually be overcome by putting weights in the rear trim pockets which are part of almost all rear inflation BC's. If the trim pocets aren't there then you can use tank weights etc. For me, I need to put aproximately 1 third of the weight I am using on any given dive in the rear trim pockets and the rest distributed around my weight belt. (Intergrated weights will limit your ability to space your weights around you.) When I get it just right, the BC will float me perfectly vertical in the water while resting on the surface. What this means is.... a rear inflation BC will require expermenting to get it set up just right, but will be much more efficient underwater. (This process of tweaking the weights can lead to some difficult dives if your not prepared for it and not something you will want to be doing on your first dive in Lake Tahoe.) The advantage then to a wrap around BC is that it requires no tweaking weights making it easier to use but you pay the price underwater. I would recommend a rear inflation BC. (I use a Zeagle Scout.) But if you decide to get one, plan your first dive with only one purpose, to play with your weights.

Good luck and happy shopping.

AFAIK, a hybrid BC is a halfway house.

* A jacket BC wraps around you, so you have air on your back and also around your sides and on to your chest.
* A back-inflate BC only puts air on your back. All you have at the front is straps. Take a look at the SeaQuest Libra.
* A hybrid BC does the wrap-around thing, but it puts more air on to your back that a regular jacket BC. Take a look at the Mares Dragonfly, especially the picture showing it from the side. It has 'wings' at the back as well as the wrap-around air cell.

I think the Diva LX is similar to the Dragonfly BCs, but it is hard to tell from the pictures on the SeaQuest Web site. If you can look at one in real life, you should be able to tell where the air goes -- try inflating it and see what happens at the back (if your dive shop won't let you inflate it, they are being very unreasonable -- you can't be sure of the fit if you're only trying it on deflated).

Hope that helps,

Zept

I just went on my AOW dives this past weekend and rented a Zeagle (the Concept was they had available). I was really unhappy with a couple of things about it.

First, the air cell didn't have a bungy cord around it so I was constantly struggling with it to let out the air just to descend! Once, the dive master had to help me by squeezing the bladder as I held the exhaust hose.

Second, I was careful about overfilling the BC while on the surface because of suggestions I had read on this board about pitching over on my face. But I still got a face full of water while on the surface. (That there was a lot of chop due to high winds and boat wakes causing waves didn't help) Leaning back did help a little but I still had to fin to keep myself in that position.

Third, I couldn't put any weights in the pockets because the bottom part of the pockets were held with velcro and the weights slipped out.

Fourth, the alternate air release (the cord you pull) didn't work!

Can someone say anything that would make me feel better about buying a back flotation BC?

astrl :(

The only problem (a one-off) I've had with the Diva LX was with the weight pocket coming loose. It happened on a fairly deep dive and I was lucky enough to be saved by a dive guide with eyes on the back of his head.
The velcro is not the most sturdy and they can weaken after some use so it's a good idea to feel them and make sure they're in place during the dives (especially if you're entering tight spaces where they may become dislodged).
But otherwise, I love this BCD.

Hi Astrl,

Regarding your question about "feeling better about buying a back buoyancy BC":
(Keyed to your comments):

1.) Ask around the Board (search BWOD??) about bungees on "wings" or back flotation BCs. While I have no experience with them,some folks on the Board like them, but many people feel that they are not necessary-or worse.
I have used a Concept 2 Pro for approx 50 dives, and I like it a lot. However I can relate to your problems with letting air out. Suggestion: if vertical, use the auto inflate hose, held high ( pressing the manual inflate/deflate button, of course), and be sure to lift your left shoulder to make the exit point the highest point on the BC bladder. There is a bit of a learning curve involved, but I have found that it works. This is how I "vent" air 95% of the time. [Of course, this is based only on open water rec diving situations.]
BTW, do you know which "Concept" BC you had. The older "Concept" model,or the newer "Concept 2 Sport"-velcro ditchable weight pockets, or the "Concept 2 Pro"-"ripcord weight ditching.

2.)You have the right ideas on the surface: less air, lean back, etc.
You might check the tank placement on the BC. Perhaps putting the tank bands lower on the tank would change the balance point -it did for me.

3.) Are you talking about the "ditchable" pockets, or the "trim pockets"-located on the tank bands? In either case, louis covered this re velcro.

4.)Which air release-the one you activate by pulling the auto inflate/deflate hose, or the one near the bottom of the Bladder?
Possibilities: an individual malfunction on that particular BC; or for the "hose" pull dump: they have had a reputation for working slowly; or, for the "lower" remote dump: body position is very critical here-"horizontal" by itself doesn't do it, the "outlet" needs to be at the high point of the bladder,or, as you reported,the air won't come out, or won't come out as efficiently as you would like.

If you do a "search" of the "BC' forum,I'm sure you'll find many more opinions, suggestions, etc.,( from folks with much more experience with the item in question) about this type BC.

Good Luck,
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom