The Gorge at Monastery South

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveNav

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has ever dove for real THE GORGE at Monastery South (I made up the name)?

I am working on the new virtual dive site for Monastery South and, while diving it, I have found a very interesting feature of the terrain.
At about 90ft there is the beginning of what looks like a small canyon; the first part is unassuming, but as it reaches ~140ft it get steeper and steeper .... and narrower and narrower .... and finally drops down in the canyon below at ~350ft.
Very impressive - at least in the simulator. And kind of scary too.

The starting point is shown in the image.

the_gorge_monastery_south.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Never been there - it's kind of in the no-mans-land beyond the interesting stuff from a Monastery entry, and, too far to scooter around from Lobos, even cutting through Wall Street.

Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks!

All the best, James

....... too far to scooter around from Lobos, even cutting through Wall Street.....
Wall Street? And where is that? Underwater IPOs in NorCal?

No...not an IPO...struggling to find a witty reference here and failing...

Wall Street is found about 1/2 mile from the boat ramp at Point Lobos. It runs north of Crossroads and Thumbs Up, at about (hope I get this right)

36 31.591 N / 121 56.284 W

Cheers!

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom