The future of this forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
... and how will you get those instructors to post here? Those who used to, no longer do ...
Why should they? What benefit do they get? Why should they let all the numpties get a free shot at them?

Its not their job to educate the masses on the internet. If people want the "real" info, they can sign up for a class. ^%%%^% the ones that want their education for free.

NWGratefulDiver:
Many's the time over the past few years that I've watched people get into endless arguments over minutae ... like whether bent D-rings or straight D-rings are "DIR", or whether your bolt snaps should clip over or under ... only to have them proudly announce one day that they've finally signed up for Fundies.

Good grief ... and all this time I thought they were GUE instructors ... :shakehead:
I always got/get a kick out of that.

JeffG:
Why should they? What benefit do they get? Why should they let all the numpties get a free shot at them?

Its not their job to educate the masses on the internet. If people want the "real" info, they can sign up for a class. ^%%%^% the ones that want their education for free.
That can be said for any instructor.

When I was going through my instructor training, one thing my CD told me ... "Never give instruction away. People won't value what they don't pay for."

I have chosen to ignore that advice many times ... and in most cases, came to realize exactly what he was talking about ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Yes I agree, but I think you can see that being a GUE instructor would create a bigger target.

TSandM:
The DIR forum lost its initiator and its overseers with the departure of Uncle Pug and Snowbear. I've seen it get diluted and unfocused, and I take some responsibility for that, because somebody really needs to stay aggressively on top of the threads and the answers, and vet each of them for correctness. Sometimes I don't know what the "real" answer is, and sometimes I'm just not eager to delete posts because they're not "quite right".

With the advent of sites like DIR Explorers and the 5thD-x forums, do we really need a forum on SB for DIR answers? If we do, does anybody have any suggestions about someone who is knowledgeable enough to make sure the answers are correct, and who has the time and energy to go through the posts and threads and make sure they're on track? Because I don't feel as though I'm doing a good job of that.

I think it's needed.. there's a forum for everything else...

What do you mean by "the departure of Uncle Pug and Snowbear"?

NWGratefulDiver:

When I was going through my instructor training, one thing my CD told me ... "Never give instruction away. People won't value what they don't pay for."

I have chosen to ignore that advice many times ... and in most cases, came to realize exactly what he was talking about ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Indeed, you are exactly right, Bob.

But therein lies the inherent problem, here, where nobs then post their own DIR views, having been justified in their own minds by a few DIR courses, and way too much exposure to GI 3's psychopathology.

nereas:
Indeed, you are exactly right, Bob.

But therein lies the inherent problem, here, where nobs then post their own DIR views, having been justified in their own minds by a few DIR courses, and way too much exposure to GI 3's psychopathology.

Noobs after a few DIR courses?? Huh?

You can be quite a tech or cave diver in just a couple (3) of GUE classes so I'm curious how many classes you'd think is required. And how many you have yourself.

I'm Tech1 and Cave1 for the record. So 2 classes after DIRF.

rjack321:
I'm Tech1 and Cave1 for the record. So 2 classes after DIRF.
Okay, I have to ask... you mentioned this 3 (maybe more) times now. What's going on...? Something you know that I don't?:blinking:

Meng_Tze:
Okay, I have to ask... you mentioned this 3 (maybe more) times now. What's going on...? Something you know that I don't?:blinking:

Ooops, sorry Freddie. I'd actually forgotten that I'd mentioned that before. I just think its laughable that most all the really senior DIR divers avoid this place. A few divers are looking for instructors or more to preach the gospel here. And they ain't even here in the room.

Every once in a blue moon Sampson, Chickdiver, DRE, Brando, RTodd, MHK or someone whos teaching and practicing higher level "DIRness" jumps in and addresses something. I don't feel that those DIR qualifications are necessarily needed for the basic questions.

However when a Tech1 diver is comparatively "advanced" you'll find that the highest level questions getting asked are DIRF level. And since those have already been asked and answered ad naseum, it gets boring. So people drift away to social networks which are more supportive.

rjack321:
.... I just think its laughable that most all the really senior DIR divers avoid this place. A few divers are looking for instructors or more to preach the gospel here. And they ain't even here in the room.

Every once in a blue moon Sampson, Chickdiver, DRE, Brando, RTodd, MHK or someone whos teaching and practicing higher level "DIRness" jumps in and addresses something. I don't feel that those DIR qualifications are necessarily needed for the basic questions.

However when a Tech1 diver is comparatively "advanced" you'll find that the highest level questions getting asked are DIRF level. And since those have already been asked and answered ad naseum, it gets boring. So people drift away to social networks which are more supportive.
I think you said it all..... the sumum of the entire thread.... Maybe this should be renamed 'DIRF forum" and let the advanced discussions be served elsewhere.:10:

As a non-dir, new-ish diver, I would like to say that I've learned a lot from the DIR discussions, and especially seeing how the views compare and contract to the non-dir world. It's helped me to shape my decisions on how I'm progressing with my learning, and things like gear selection. If anything, it's probably saved me from jumping ahead and buying things that I don't really need. Thanks!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom