The future of this forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321:
Its the reticence to bother asking more advanced DIR questions here which leads to the same basic questions being so overwhelming, people get bored, they move on.

I would prefer to ask more advanced questions in the Tech Diving section- I think it would be more productive since it won't be limited to the GUE answer nor will it be stained by the anti-DIR vs DIR noise- at least in theory, until the thread gets hijacked.

Rick Inman:
Yeah...or maybe we can put a red warning, like you get on all the medical threads.

I'll bring that up in the back Room..
As long as you are discussing that, please consider also adding that warning to the Women's Forum. Same problem of wandering in via the "new posts" function and not noticing what forum it is.

do it easy:
I would prefer to ask more advanced questions in the Tech Diving section-
Maybe split the DIR forum into two?

One is general DIR, DIR-F, Rec-triox or whatever it's called nowdays, etc. Don't make it an opt in.

The other is the more technical or advanced DIR. Tech 1/Cave1 and above or whatever makes sense. And then really strictly moderate the tech DIR forum. And maybe even make it opt in.

Rick Inman:
Yeah...or maybe we can put a red warning, like you get on all the medical threads.
A bit like we should have had on pandora's box? I see a vague resemblance....:blinking:

'Open at your own peril, muhahahahaha'

do it easy:
I would prefer to ask more advanced questions in the Tech Diving section- I think it would be more productive since it won't be limited to the GUE answer nor will it be stained by the anti-DIR vs DIR noise- at least in theory, until the thread gets hijacked.
what he said.

nereas:
This is precisely the inherent fallacy in non-instructors playing at that game.

So you think only JJ can answer why double steel 108s with a 7mm wetsuit to 150ft isn't DIR?? Really now, once you get to a certain point in the training its not that hard to understand the principles and formulate a reasonably coherent answer - on first principles if need be. If you want a pat gospel answer go to Quest. Or a certain yahoo group :mooner:

do it easy:

I would prefer to know the reasoning behind the DIR way of doing something. If after trying it out, the answer doesn't make sense for my local diving I'll look for another solution. But I would prefer to understand and learn the DIR way so that when I travel I am consistent with the DIR "insta-buddies" I end up with in foreign lands.

Charlie99:
As long as you are discussing that, please consider also adding that warning to the Women's Forum. Same problem of wandering in via the "new posts" function and not noticing what forum it is.
...workin' on that, too!

Oh, and what Easy said.

nereas:
"The noise" results when people who are not instructors attempt to play that game.

You really need a GUE-DIR or an AG-DIR instructor to tackle the questions raised.

Or else all you get is lots more noise.
... and how will you get those instructors to post here? Those who used to, no longer do ...

IMO - you don't need to be an instructor to respond to many of the questions that get raised in this forum. You should, however, have some DIR training.

Many's the time over the past few years that I've watched people get into endless arguments over minutae ... like whether bent D-rings or straight D-rings are "DIR", or whether your bolt snaps should clip over or under ... only to have them proudly announce one day that they've finally signed up for Fundies.

Good grief ... and all this time I thought they were GUE instructors ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom