The Four Dimensions of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just completed two weeks in Bonaire, with a little teaching as part of the trip.
An interesting discussion took place with a student who wanted to expand his comfort zone while diving, and feel more in control.

Here is the way the discussion wrapped up:

There are four dimensions.....three spatial, plus time. If you are comfortable in all of these, you are "in control."
The vertical dimension is buoyancy.
The two horizontal dimensions are navigation.
The time dimension is gas management.

So, get on top of your buoyancy, your nav, and your gas use/SAC, and you have expanded your comfort zone.

Worked for him!

why two horizontal dimensions?

i see it as either one (your movement over the bottom) or four (left, right, forward, back ... or N, E, S, and W)

why two horizontal dimensions?

i see it as either one (your movement over the bottom) or four (left, right, forward, back ... or N, E, S, and W)

One's position in space is set by your x-y-z coordinates. You are talking direction, I'm talking position.

ok, so x,y,z is three dimensions then

:wink:

Interesting approach. You could have thrown in roll/pitch/yaw, leading to trim discussions.

Interesting approach. You could have thrown in roll/pitch/yaw, leading to trim discussions.

Great addition! I'll use that for "Advanced 4D Diving."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom