The flounder are comming...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bo Danker

Contributor
Reaction score
In another week or so the flounder will be here throwing a party in the shallows of the Texas Gulf and if I am not at Travis on the 19th-20th then I'm going to Port A as soon as that second cold snap sets in (hopefully the 19th 20th'ish).

Question: Has anyone tried flounder gigging while scuba diving? Seems like they would be able to get away since you got all that gear on but then again maybe you can sneak up on them easier... hrm... Any comments, concerns, or questions are greatly appreciated.

Saw a spearo's dive buddy gig one with his dive knife in Florida several years ago. He just swam up and stuck the little "hump" in the sand. The flounder thought it was hiding. Ooops.

Don't have a clue how the flounder will be acting off the Texas coast during the time you're talking about though.

sealskin98:
Saw a spearo's dive buddy gig one with his dive knife in Florida several years ago. He just swam up and stuck the little "hump" in the sand. The flounder thought it was hiding. Ooops.

Don't have a clue how the flounder will be acting off the Texas coast during the time you're talking about though.

In November the flounder come up in the shallows out of the gulf, They go into calm areas like shores west of the Padre and into channels along the coast. During this time of year they can be found mostly during high tide. When the tide returns to the sea so do the flounder. The second cold snap tends to encourage the flounder to return to the shallows for longer periods. In as little as three feet of water flounder will remain throught the tidal cycle.

In the past I have done some boat gigging but mostly I have used waderz, a car battery, an inner-tube to float the battery, a high power underwater 12 volt latern, and a gig. At night, for quite a good distance, you can see those little eyes poking out the sand. If your quick then you will be eating that night :)

Over time and with newer technology came much brighter, lighter, longer lasting, lights that are easily rechargable and its just not that hard to gig them now that the additional power supply is not needed for shore gigging. I was wondering how many Swampies have tried spearing them? Is it easier then gigging? Surely it has got to be more fun! Is it legal with proper tags (Resident Fishing with Sea tag)? What are some good places to go? I was planning on going to the Port A area, would that be a good spot?

Bo Danker:
... At night, for quite a good distance, you can see those little eyes poking out the sand. If your quick then you will be eating that night :)

Hmm I don't know about the Padre area but along the Galveston coast the flounder could sneak up and gig you before you every see them. Vis here is about a half an inch. Really nasty brown water. :06:

jstuart1:
Hmm I don't know about the Padre area but along the Galveston coast the flounder could sneak up and gig you before you every see them. Vis here is about a half an inch. Really nasty brown water. :06:

There are areas around the pardre that have quite good vis at times atleast I rarely see it so low that a 3ft gig wont get you what you need. Near the channels is usually very turbid but the flounder get thick at times and really just is not that important to have perfect water for gigging. The most fun is getting in a swamp boat with a light rig on it and troll along the banks away from the tourist fishers/giggers. You can gig bout anything like drum, sheeps head, flounder and its a blast!

MichaelBaranows:
I have never gigged them on scuba. But have been told that about the legs of rigs that you can find BIG flounder. And why don't you try a speargun rather than a gigg.

Well I was gonna try using something sharp. I have had one vote for a big knife, I thought atleast a gig might work... ok maybe the knife would be better. I don't have a spear, never used a spear, don't really know how to use a spear yet, and with as little diving expereince that I have it might not be best to introduce new equipment (I am still getting used to swimming with a light in my hand :) ). You only get like 12 a day for a limit I am only going to be there for maybe 2-3 days worth of fishing and it would be nice to pick out some big ones if I could be selective about it. The most I have been able to get is about 90 lbs in on trip. I don't think I will get a charter to a rig becuase of budget constraints (it is just to easy to get them on the shores right now :) )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom