The First Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob

You are the expert - I'll go with whatever you feel is best.

I rarely go fast - lots of frog kicking (bad knees) - I take lots of pictures - and since my eyes are not really good - I have to go slow to find my subjects (unless some large pelagic just swims up to me :D )

As I said, I'm not in a great hurry - I still have my Excellerating FFs, if I do manage to find somewhere to go.

TN, Your model will have the Hole. So the votes are in some like the Hole and some don't like the hole. I feel we might be losing some transfer of energy and will try to thin the foot cap so it will not be so hard on the instep. At work now, going up stairs to the fin Lab. Best, Bob

Bob

You are the expert - I'll go with whatever you feel is best.

I rarely go fast - lots of frog kicking (bad knees) - I take lots of pictures - and since my eyes are not really good - I have to go slow to find my subjects (unless some large pelagic just swims up to me :D )

As I said, I'm not in a great hurry - I still have my Excellerating FFs, if I do manage to find somewhere to go.

So I was able to actually dive with the Hockey Fin (as I am calling it) yesterday. I had it in Puget Sound with my drysuit.

Again it showed itself as the best frog kicking fin I have ever seen. I was diving along side an experienced frog kicker wearing Turtles and while watching his kicks, I was kicking at 1/2 the rate he was to keep up with him, granted his buoyancy control was much better than mine, drysuits at 7' is a pain.

The fins performed nearly as well I would like, they only issues I have with it as it is right now is being corrected with this new material the Bob has found.

The hole, well after much debate with myself here is my conclusions.
The hole is a fantastic comfort feature for me- but only when I dive with my 2 or 3 mm booties. In the drysuit, there is so much insulation I can't tell the difference.

Barefoot- yes u/w hockey is played barefoot, it concentrates the force too much and becomes painful. This is why I asked Bob to remove it for the second version of the fin (size L, vice XXL), this is also why he is thinning the cap down so that it becomes more flexible and forms to my (and your) foot better giving us the comfort that the hole is trying to provide.

In the end, Your getting a really cool fin, that I think you are really going to like.

Most of my diving is done with a 3mm boot - medium to heavy sole - depending on whether I'm doing boat or shore diving. I also need to use a 5 mm with heavy sole when diving locally (about 10 dives per year) - they don't work with my FFs (the reason I still have a pair of Apollo BioFin Pros). With my XL Excellerating FFs, I have found that I need to use a boot that has a piece of rubber running up the front of the foot to avoid rubbing the top of my foot raw - in real warm water I have used a light soled neoprene short sock with the comfort inserts and been fine. That is why I thought the "open top" foot pocket would be good for me - but with the XXLs, I may be able to use my 3 mm boots with comfort inserts and be fine, even with a standard foot pocket.

If the "open top" foot pocket loses much performance - I I guess I would rather keep the performance and work around it with inserts.

Let me know if my thought process is OK or flawed - always looking for advice from those with more experience.

I can't say I have ever noticed any loss in performance of the fin with the hole or not, so I am not sure what Bob is referring to there.

As for insteps. In the end, I think a XXL is one a great size to have. Just have a pair of comfort insteps available to size them down to fit your 3mm bootie or take them out to fit your thicker booties or drysuit. I will often put in 2 pairs to wear them barefoot. For me the holes can help some as I have a very high arch as well and the hole limits the pressure on the top of my foot. Once I have the drysuit on, it really doesn't matter.

I was with Meesier42 the other day, and also tried the new fins. They definitely made a positive impression, but it's a little hard to describe, so I hope you'll bear with me.

The first thing I noticed was on the surface swim out to the descent point. I was on my back, and kicking like I normally do with my own Force Fin Tan Delta fins. There's usually a little bit of turbulence on the surface, but with these new fins it was a lot more.

Then, as we descended and I switched over to flutter kicks, they felt "floppier" than my fins. I could tell they were longer, and it felt like there was a greater mass further out that was flexing. Not a bad feeling, just different. It didn't take very long to tell that they felt more efficient than my fins. It seemed like they moved me farther with the same amount of effort. I know that's pretty hard to quantify, but that's the way it seemed. Whenever I've tried regular paddle fins, now that I've been using Force Fins for a while, the paddles seem to move me farther per kick, but at the expense of much greater resistance, so they're more tiring and prone to cramping. These new fins also seemed to move me farther per kick, but they weren't any harder to kick than my normal fins.

Then I tried frog kicking, and it was immediately obvious that these fins work better for frog kicks than my fins.

For other kicks, like backing up, turning, or just maneuvering around, they were about the same, or maybe a tiny bit better, than my fins, which is to say very good.

Overall, my impression was that I like them and would like to have a pair of my own. The next day, which was the next time I used my fins again, reaffirmed this feeling. I still like my fins, but I like these new fins better.

This was also the first time I've ever tried Tan Delta Excellerating Force Fins. Meesier42 brought his with bat wings, and I used them for the second dive that day. When he held the new fins up next to the Excellerators, you could see the similarity; they both have big ribs on the bottom, and are somewhat close to the same size and shape. In the water, though, they felt really different, and I didn't like them as much. Maybe it's because of the bat wings; those things are really big, and you can feel resistance from them every time you're doing any kick other than a flutter kick. Even though I didn't like them as much as the new fins for frog kicks, backing, and turning, they did feel more efficient like the new fins for flutter kicks. I wonder what those fins are like without the bat wings.

It didn't take long to get used to the new level of efficiency, but I definitely felt like I had taken a step back down the ladder when I went back to my fins. (sigh)

One other thing, this was also the first time I've ever tried the regular strap; all my Force Fins have had bungee straps. I was pleasantly surprised how well they worked, and how easy they were to open and close.

SamNewFins.jpg

SamNewFinsD.jpg

SamExceFFins.jpg

Last edited:
OK - After a long wait, UPS arrived with a box from Bob Evans.

The new %$#@#$% Fins (as Blair likes to call them :wink::wink: ) are a reality - not vaporware.

All I can give right now is a first impression - WOW!!!

The interesting thing is these fins fit what everyone of the "scientists" on the "Physics of Split Fins" have been saying make the perfect fin - a deeply cupped blade with ribs to prevent spilling water over the edges.

I can't wait to get them into the water (which may take some time until my LDS has an open pool session).

Until then, everyone in my office is looking at me very strangely as I walk around with these big fins on my feet - making all sorts of strange happy sounds. (Good thing I'm the boss or I would probably get fired!!)

:):):):)

Thanks Bob

OK - got them home and have some more observations:
They are about the same length and width as my Excellerating FFs - but don't look it (look smaller). Weight is about the same.

With the XXL - they fit my 5mm hard sole boots with no inserts; they fit my 3 mm hardsole boots with one insert; and they fit my 3 mm softsole boots with two inserts. Don't think I can wear them barefoot, but that definitely is not a problem.

The deep scoop design looks awesome - they just look fast. They definitely have more "snap" than either my Pros or Tan Delta Excellerating FFs.

I really can't wait to try them in the water.

Tn Traveler, the question I have? Did they make it to the kitchen table? You should see what I have trimmed today. Blair will hopefully post some photo's we took today. Glad you can feel that spring. I like to add that this pro-type mold was used for four pairs to be made. We plan to start with the project "Catch me", for those who use the other types of fins.

Tn Traveler, the question I have? Did they make it to the kitchen table? You should see what I have trimmed today. Blair will hopefully post some photo's we took today. Glad you can feel that spring. I like to add that this pro-type mold was used for four pairs to be made. We plan to start with the project "Catch me", for those who use the other types of fins.

:D:D

Yes they did!!

Wife has been out of town on business (she is the real boss of our business - I only get to play "boss" when she is gone) - so I had the house to myself.

The fins were my dinner (and breakfast) companion. That will end today, since she is coming home.

I am trying to figure out how to get them wet - may have to "buy" pool time from my LDS. I'm not his favorite customer since I don't use any of the major equipment he sells and only buy air and small stuff (so free pool time is out) - my Force Fins, BP/W, Double hose reg, etc are totally foreign to his "model". I may have to try an get one of my local buddies to break out our heavy wetsuits and head for the quarry (but I really hate 50 deg water :(:( ).

Thanks again!

This has got to be one of the coolest dive pics ever!

Attachments

• SamExceFFins.jpg
    SamExceFFins.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 146
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom