The finest fins I have used APS Mantaray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They frog kick and back kick fine for me.

As an FYI - the SEALs who have tried them are getting John to enter them into the GSA schedule so they can order them for use.

I think John would love more tech people to try them, but the jet fins have a fairly strong hold on the tech crowd - or so it seems to me....

My two cents....

Agree with the OP that the fins are lightweight, small and easy to pack for travel. I brought my Mantaray fins at BTS (Beneath the Sea) scuba show, in March and used them in the local quarry and while on vacation in Key West, Key Largo, Catalina and San Diego, basically in many different environments with no issues. I love my Mantaray fins because they are so light and have lotsa power, have no complaints about them. I'm told by my dive buddies that I "motor" when I'm in the Mantaray fins. :D

I had no problems doing the frog kick in the Mantaray fins but could not do a back kick. It was more my fault than the Mantaray fins. I just did not know how to do a proper back kick until my Fundies class last month. I used my SP Jet fins for the class because they are a stiffer fin than my Mantaray fins. I have not taken the Mantaray fins out for a spin since learning how to execute a proper back kick so will have to try the next time I dive.

My two cents....

Agree with the OP that the fins are lightweight, small and easy to pack for travel. I brought my Mantaray fins at BTS (Beneath the Sea) scuba show, in March and used them in the local quarry and while on vacation in Key West, Key Largo, Catalina and San Diego, basically in many different environments with no issues. I love my Mantaray fins because they are so light and have lotsa power, have no complaints about them. I'm told by my dive buddies that I "motor" when I'm in the Mantaray fins. :D

I had no problems doing the frog kick in the Mantaray fins but could not do a back kick. It was more my fault than the Mantaray fins. I just did not know how to do a proper back kick until my Fundies class last month. I used my SP Jet fins for the class because they are a stiffer fin than my Mantaray fins. I have not taken the Mantaray fins out for a spin since learning how to execute a proper back kick so will have to try the next time I dive.
Thx for the feedback! Please do post once you've done so. :)

I like the blade design. I'm just not sold on the straps. I haven't yet had the chance to examin the fins, but from the photos, the straps seem a bit flimsey. Has anyone used these fins with spring straps? Will spring straps attach to these fins?

I like the blade design. I'm just not sold on the straps. I haven't yet had the chance to examin the fins, but from the photos, the straps seem a bit flimsey. Has anyone used these fins with spring straps? Will spring straps attach to these fins?

I have spring straps on my Mantaray fins. I tried four different brands in the LP store but because I have a small foot, the springs straps that worked best for my boot size and those fins were the XS Scuba spring straps.

i just bought mine from LP. should get it on the 24th
ill try it that weekend...

They frog kick and back kick fine for me.

As an FYI - the SEALs who have tried them are getting John to enter them into the GSA schedule so they can order them for use.

I think John would love more tech people to try them, but the jet fins have a fairly strong hold on the tech crowd - or so it seems to me....

I wonder whether there exists a comparative review between these, Force Fins, and other more traditional fins. I'd like to see it.

The good qualities of this fin is:

-Best footpocket I have ever tried
-Extremely lightweight
-Very compact
-The straps is actually very good (although I prefer springstraps for longevity)

The downsides: (and I am maybe a bit biased, because I was told these fins had equal qualities to Jetfins)

-I was unable to swim fast unless dolphin-kicking, and then I would still struggle to keep up with Jetfins
-Frogkicks are very inefficient, comparable to FF Pro
-Helicopter-turns are slow
-Flutterkicks does not produce a lot of thrust

I must add that I did all my dives in a drysuit, and that I have fairly strong legs.

The fins I use now is Hollis F1s, and I love them... Previously Jetfins...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom