The Fabulous Underwater Adventures of KCH and MDB: Morrison Springs July 23, 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MysteryDiveBuddy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Oh I see how it is! I have to write the dive report? I have to write the dive report! Don't you people realize I have important pressing things to do?

*refers to intinerary*

:heh_heh: Did I say I had things to do? Oops. I can't do my chores (namely cleaning out somebody's truck and rinsing associated dive gear) because it's raining so onto the dive report:

Long long ago and far far away....ok in Ponce DeLeon, FL last night at about 5pm....two vivacious and intrepid young ladies undertook a diving adventure. Despite the scortching heat and smothering humidity they suited up in multiple layers of protective neoprene. While they were assembling thier gear they looked on in satisfaction as the milling hordes of tired divers and swimmers departed (before the legions of blood-sucking insects descended on the swamp in the waning light).

Our adventuresses did take note of a single diver preparing to enter the water after them. This individual was obviously psychologically imbalanced because he was loudly proclaiming his intentions to enter the cavern on a single tank with only 2000psi in it, alone with exception of his camera, with no formal cavern training. Our heroines shook thier heads sadly :shakehead and did thier final buddy checks, oks, and descended into the cool soothing waters of the spring.

Upon immersion in the azure hydrologic paradise the diveresses were transported to another dimension of calm and quiet where everybody can fly and nobody has to hurry or answer the incessant ringing of thier cell phone. They glided down and over the training platform, noting sunfish, on thier way to explore the bottom of the spring basin.

Before dropping into the precipitous basin one of the Ladies of SCUBA tied off the diver down flag to the cypress log. She left the flag about 3' beneath the waters surface to foil the attempts of Evil Doers to steal the precious Beacon of Safety.

The bottom of the basin was virtually devoid of fish life with the exception of one or two small sunfish. The limestone formations of eons ago held some interest but the Ladies of SCUBA were more interested in the ichthyologic fauna and glided up and out of the basin to make several surveys around the perimeter of the spring.

Among the cypress knees were the many inhabitants they had grown accustomed to encountering in the spring: sunfish of several varieties (curiously referred to as "bream" or "brim" by the locals dspite the fact that bream are marine fish endemic to Europe) bass patrolling with majesty and pomp, pickerel hovering like dirgibles menacing the smaller dace and sunfish, along with one solitary spotted sucker....not to be confused with a carp, none of which were in evidence. Additonally there were no striped bass or turtles to be found.

Looping around the basin in a clockwise fashion the Ladies of SCUBA encountered the deranged diver who had apparently entered the cavern after they ascended from the hole. Fortunately the poor chap was no worse for his adventure and insisted on taking thier photograph. Then he proceded to tangle himself in the Adventuresses flag line and entangle them both as they attempted to extricate him.

Having rid themselves of the Insane Diver from the Blue Hole of Death the Ladies of SCUBA did one more lap around the edges of the spring where they were privledged to observe a small pickerel actually hunting a small darky colored sunfish. The pickerel menaced his quarry as it darted in and out of the warren within the cypress stumps.

Finally our heroines exited the water after a 35 minute dive with a maximum depth of approximately 35'. As they emerged from the spring (unfortunately looking nothing like Venus emerging from the sea) they were greeted by thunderclaps and that Nuisance from the Blue Lagoon.

The End

Get out the basin and up the spring run, the fish become more diverse!

Sounds like a great trip, I might need to make the 5 hour drive From jacksonville to check out CS. Let me know when there is another trip planned to go down there. I can make it if I have a couple days notice.

Just gotta figure out how to get a canoe on the roof of a Stanza and hope it will stay there driving 70+ mph!!

Great pics on the other write up SBM!

dhampton82:
Just gotta figure out how to get a canoe on the roof of a Stanza and hope it will stay there driving 70+ mph!!

Great pics on the other write up SBM!

Bah, my average speed on I10 was probably 60mph without anything strapped ontop the Bronco of Doom :D

Drive slow and buy lots of ratchet straps.

dhampton82:

!

Get yourself a Yakama Rack. They are great. I've had 2 kayaks on mine doing 90mph down the interstate and they don't even "wiggle" any that rack is so strong and tight fitting. Yakama Racks are well worth the money.

For straps, I've found that the best made was the ones from Northwest River Supply. They tighten down extremly tight with a 'cam buckle' and do not stretch once tightened, even when wet and doing 90mph. I've also never had one tear or had to "retire" one due to signs of "stress".
check out
http://nrsweb.resultspage.com/displ...&pu=653&uid=689795841&&w=tie down straps&rk=2
and
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1440

For a canoe you'll want a couple of 12 to 20 footers, depending on how you strap them. I typically doubled up two sets of straps on a canoe just because it was so much bigger in the 'wind' of the car.

Mike's right, Yakima makes great quality racks, for a price :) http://www.yakima.com/

I don't like cam buckles though, I bought cheapies from Autozone(or similar type place) and they weren't all that reliable. Meanwhile, the cheapy ratchet straps worked just fine. $7 for a cheapy ratchet strap at your local autoparts place. S&H need not apply.

Thanks for the report MDB, even though it was kinda like watching a chick flic :1poke: :D.

Is the monster from the blue hole going to post some pictures, I assume he had working batteries for this dive?

I'm sorry MDB I have been working on a petition for non-binding arbitration and preparing for a probable cuase hearing.

The report is accurate. I'll dive with you again any time to watch the fish. I'd much rather fish watch than cavern watch.

There was an idiot boat on the water when we were there. Didn't want to worry about that so stayed in the basin.

We finally received some rain in FWB today. As MDB stated they were getting rain in DFS. So maybe PDL got some rain as well. Of course it's not enough to even begin making a dent in the drought but it is something.

A boat? Not often you only have to deal with one, should have taken the opportunity :D Drag the flag and they'll see you. You guys are missing half the enjoyment of Morrison.

SeaYoda:
Thanks for the report MDB, even though it was kinda like watching a chick flic :1poke: :D.

Is the monster from the blue hole going to post some pictures, I assume he had working batteries for this dive?

Sorry, I was trying to emphasize my femininity in order to be non-threatening since you guys are obviously intimidated by my long, rigid, thick..............snorkel........and as such have snorkel envy! Why else would you ceaselessly taunt me about it? Yes Monster from the Blue Hole took pics in the cavern that are pretty interesting, I'm sure he'll post them later. The batteries in the camera died right before he got tangled in our flag line.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom