The end of the lead weight era

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funny and well times post. you comment reminds me of the series YOUNG SHELDON at perhaps 10 yo trying to make a nuclear reactor attempting to extract nuc material from smoke detectors. That in its self was not so funny but he social reaction was outragous when the feds showed up to take his nuclear material
Scary part is it is based in fact. David Hahn - Wikipedia

Two things: one should not conflate occupational-caused hazards of lead to diving-caused hazards of lead, since they are magnitudes different. How many millions of divers are exposed to lead annually without one reported problem? Secondly, societal effects includes effects on the ecology and environment, and THAT is where the plastics problem is.

Well, the thing about lead weights is that somebody has to make them. Somebody has to push them around the warehouse. And there are DMs who handle lead weights every day. Those are occupational hazards. Is that perfectly safe? Maybe, but I'm skeptical. The thing here is that there are safer alternatives available, so why expose people to the hazard?

Well, the thing about lead weights is that somebody has to make them. Somebody has to push them around the warehouse. And there are DMs who handle lead weights every day. Those are occupational hazards. Is that perfectly safe? Maybe, but I'm skeptical. The thing here is that there are safer alternatives available, so why expose people to the hazard?

I would question whether it is a hazzard. sun exposure is a hazzard. when over exposed you get cancer. I sprent years around nuclear power. I could say it never bothered me but that would be an invite for argument. there is a phrase that is worded time distance sheilding. it is iplemented through out business. an xray machine will kill you from exposure. the statement is 100 percent true. but the part left out is over exposure to xrays will kill you. When you try to be clever using wording for the purpose of persuasion of the ignorant then you can say that water will kill you. proof : If I force 10 gallons up your back side you will die. If I word a public statement and say you died form water up your back side, with out the rest of the facts...;. some tree hugger with a brewery, will try to ban water because it is a newly discovered silent killer. One should drink beer instead.

Cost/benefit. Not every problem needs to be solved.

There are entire industries that deal with lead every day, so the risks are known, the protection/mitigation techniques are known, and the testing regimes are known. The factories where they are made are likely following strict lead exposure protocols required by OSHA. But for people that aren't exposed to lead dust simple hand washing after handling metallic lead and before eating or drinking is enough to keep blood lead levels acceptable.

So a DM handing a few weights over, or sales person moving inventory likely results in minimal lead exposure. And I don't feel the need to use my lead remediation or protections techniques that I would use when handling bullets fresh from the manufacturer or handling fired brass (both of which can contain lead dust which is a much higher risk than solid lead).

There are entire industries that deal with lead every day, so the risks are known, the protection/mitigation techniques are known, and the testing regimes are known. The factories where they are made are likely following strict lead exposure protocols required by OSHA. But for people that aren't exposed to lead dust simple hand washing after handling metallic lead and before eating or drinking is enough to keep blood lead levels acceptable.

Illegal dumping of lead/arsenic into waterways by SeaSoft

Now I personally think that the Seasoft matter was regulatory overreach, but read through the thread -- particularly some of the narrative from Seasoft about how they handle lead and the changes they are making since they got spanked by the gov't. Read through the thread and come back and tell me that they are following "strict lead exposure protocols."

no rational person would ever shoot a woodcock because they are bony and taste terrible.
You, sir, speak out of great ignorance. I recommend you to reduce your level of ignorance a smidgen. Do a Google search on "woodcock recipe" and read what those who have tasted woodcock say about the bird.

Many who have eaten them say that woodcock is the king of game birds, greater even than ruffed grouse or canvasback duck. The flavor of woodcock is strong, gamey-in-a-good-way, and like nothing else. Some say the earth moves when you bite into one that has been perfectly cooked: pink, and just a little bloody. That may be a bit much, but only a bit.
Roast Woodcock Recipe - How to Roast a Woodcock

Lead is dangerous so is car exhaust fume.
I wonder if the OP knows how Lithium is being extracted and made to power his cellular phone/diving light etc etc. And what happens to it when the battery eventually expires?

Toxic waste!

Illegal dumping of lead/arsenic into waterways by SeaSoft

Now I personally think that the Seasoft matter was regulatory overreach, but read through the thread -- particularly some of the narrative from Seasoft about how they handle lead and the changes they are making since they got spanked by the gov't. Read through the thread and come back and tell me that they are following "strict lead exposure protocols."

manufacturer exposure adn consumer exposure are 2 different animals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom