the end of my diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

artsprite

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Doc Deco,

I've just been diagnosed with osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis) in my right knee. I'm going to ask for an MRI on the left one because I have the same kind of pain in it.

I had the MRI on the right knee to confirm a torn meniscus, and the ON showed up, too. I'm having surgery on Dec. 2oth to repair the meniscus and check out the ON and he said he'd drill holes in it to try to stimulate blood flow to the area.

I've read everything I can find on the internet about this disease, and I know that decompression sickness can cause it. I've only had 10 dives so far since certification. Does having this disease mean that I'm going to have to stop diving? I intend to ask my orthopedist after he finds out how bad it is, but he isn't a diver and I don't know if he'll really know the answer to this. It sounds bad, and I'm scared. I also have Fibromyalgia, and it is in the same family of diseases as RA and Lupus which are risk factors for getting ON.

I'd appreciate any info you can give me.

Right off the top of my head, I would suggest you contact DAN (1-919-684-2948, (Mon-Fri, 8:00a - 5:00p EST, www.DiversAlertNetwork.org) and ask for a referral to a diving physician. Perhaps there is one in Dallas that is not only up to speed on diving physiology, but your knee problems too.

Already thought of that Mike, thanks.

Dear Artsprite;

The folks at DAN are a good bet here for a referral to a physician in your area of the country. You certainly have an unfortunate constellation of maladies that require a proper sorting by a knowledgeable physician. From the point of view of a research scientist, I cannot offer much information on this topic as I have little acquaintanceship with it.

Dr Deco :confused: :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom