The Enchanting Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

denisegg

Indescribable!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For those of you who tease cave divers about diving with wet rocks, I thought you might want to read what Tom Mount wrote about it. He wrote the IANTD student manual for cave training, along with several other books on the subject. He first started diving in 1958 and since that time has logged an average of 325 dives per year, with approximately 50% of those being technical dives involving cave, wreck, deep air and trimix. He has an enchanting description of the intrigue and fascination of cave diving.

"Since the beginning of mankind, underwater caves have held a special fascination. The uninitiated have often looked at them as dark, foreboding, serious mazes opening into the bowels of the earth. The ancient Maya of Central America believed them to be a watery window which the dead used to reach the Underworld.

Those of us who have penetrated this watery underworld know cave diving is one of those few experiences actually offering the opportunity to explore inner space. We know it really is a trip into an imaginary, computer-generated "virtual reality". For us they are passages into a world of intrigue, a dreamland where fantasies often abound. We have learned that caves mirror the reflection of timelessness, penetrating beyond our presence into the realm of eternity. We have felt the intrigue to discover what lies beyond the next turn. We have, indeed, taken the road less traveled. We have been down a passageway into the unknown. Our senses have been alerted. The cave, for a brief moment, became a lover. She became a seductress drawing us into her body, into the earth itself."

For those of you who tease cave divers

You could have just said my name :wink:

I can (almost) understand the attraction, I'm just a wimp. I'll stick to my zero viz shark wrestling dives, and leave the dangerous stuff to you brave folks :wink:

Someday, some smart diver will invent a gill system that strains oxygen (is it oxygen or air I wonder?) from the water, and I may join you in those dark holes. Until then, you cave divers need to start carrying cameras so the rest of us can live vicariously through your dives. :wink:

LOL. Of course you are at the top of the list. :wink: There are some beautiful pictures on the board of the caverns and caves. This might be a good place for some of the photographers to post their favorites. :)

The way I see it, if you can appreciate the beauty of the grand canyon, or any other natural geological phenominon, you can appreciate a cave(underwater or not). Is it worth the training, money, time, investment?.. and even still some risk? Thats a decision everyone will have to make personally.

Diving isn't for everyone, just a small percentage of the population. Cave diving is for an even smaller percentage of those who choose to dive.

If I want to see wet rocks, I'll goto the jetties or whatever bridge rubble site and pray there is some life to make things interesting. I goto the caves to see natural beauty(and according to Tom Mount, violate her...), not wet rocks. I dive caves for a totally different experience than whats provided by OW diving, or any other sort of technical diving.

The way I see it, if you can appreciate the beauty of the grand canyon, or any other natural geological phenominon, you can appreciate a cave(underwater or not)...

I say we start filling up the Grand Canyon so we can dive it!

Ken

Sounds like Tom and I have the same reaction to the caves. This is what I wrote after my first experiences in them:

On this dive, I had a feeling I recognized from years ago, when I did a lot of higher mathematics. I felt as though I'd been transported out of myself, literally exalted and utterly joyful, aware of my skin all the way to my fingertips and totally in the moment. It was the most exquisite and intense pleasure I've had diving, and it was composed in part of the utter clarity of the water, the incredible beauty of the surroundings, and the complete peace of the place. Reef diving is visually and kinesthetically busy -- Life and water in constant motion, demanding your attention in every direction. The caves are meditative and internal, and I felt as though time dilated and even my heartbeat was slowed. I had some of the same reaction to floating between the walls of two billion year old rock, deep in the Grand Canyon, but this was ever so much stronger. This was truly a drug, and I will do whatever I need to do for another dose of it.

Bravo!! What an excellent description TSandM! It really does heighten all the senses, makes you become intensely aware of your surroundings, and pushes you to a greater level of mental acuity and physical conditioning.

For those of you who tease cave divers about diving with wet rocks, I thought you might want to read what Tom Mount wrote about it.

Heh. Funny you should say that. I had a similar exchange with someone years ago.

My question regarding cave diving is.....what do you really see that's so amazing that draws you back into the hole? Is it merely the adventure? You aren't going to see a shark!

Cave Diver:
A quote that I've seen attributed to Tom Mount seems to sum it up best. "Either you're one of us and you get it, or you're not and you don't."

As far as what I see, well, you wont see any sharks, but I still like it anyway. There are beautiful rock formations. Sculpted and etched out over time by a restless artist. Nooks and crannies that beg for exploration, tempting you with the promise of new passages that no living soul has ever seen. Contrasts of light and dark in the different layers of rocks. Fossils from hundreds, thousands, maybe millions of years ago, frozen in time. Its the wondering what you will find just aroung the next corner, and so much more...

And yes, it is the adventure. I like the challenge, the concentration necessary. The planning, the checking, the knowing that it's up to me to make sure the dive goes flawlessly. Knowing that failure or sloppiness is not an option. It makes the senses keenly aware, it heightens the experience. It's the tension, the anticipation and the relief when you come back into the cavern zone and you know that you had a good plan, a good dive and everything is okay.

The way I see it, if you can appreciate the beauty of the grand canyon, or any other natural geological phenominon, you can appreciate a cave(underwater or not).

That's similar to an analogy that I use when asked. Some people wont go to the the Grand Canyon because they think it's just a big hole in the ground. Some are content to stand at the edge and look at the grandeur of the natural formations. Some are content to look at it and appreciate the history of geological events recorded in the layers of rock. And then there's those people that just have to climb on a mule and make the trek to the bottom just for the adventure and the chance to see things up close that most can only dream of!

Wow!! Again, Cave Diver, an awesome description of the passion it stirs.

No matter how you try to explain it to Non Cave Divers they just won't get it.
All You have to do is take a Cavern Course then you will know if it's for You.

Back
Top Bottom