The Difference Between a Dive Shop & a Surf Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in one the other day and told the guy I would be returning later to pick something else up. He said, "Well, I might leave early." Now, I do not know if this was an attempt to get me to buy the item at that time instead of returning later or what. The sign says "Open til 6," here is a suggestion, stay open until six. If you are not going to treat it like a real business then neither am I. Yeah, I bought the other item (over $100 sale) at a shop that was still open when I wanted to purchase the item (still before six). Idiots.

Depends on the region. In the south, shops are always friendy places. Wreck shops in New Joisy and Lawguyland, not so much.

It's interesting that people also seem to feel a need to "affiliate" with a dive shop. I bet most of us have "loyalty" cards from at least a dozen different retailers selling everything from groceries to hardware to sporting goods. You never get accused of being disloyal when you pull out your Publix card by accident at a Winn-Dixie.

We do feel the need to affiliate with a dive shop, as opposed to other retailers. Why? There are so few around each city. Thus, when you find one with exceptional service and training, then you stick with it. Unlike many other retailers, dive shops vary a lot in service quality. And because you're paying so much for training, service, and/or equipment, you want to make sure it's the best.

A proper analogy for dive shop loyalty is the loyalty you have towards your car mechanic or tune-up shop. I'm sure you have picked one that you go to most of the time. It might not be the cheapest one, but you know you'll get good service.

There are bad shops around, but that shouldn't make you discount the good shops. On the contrary, that should make you praise the good shops even more.

I think you need to frequent a different dive shop. (obviously) Not all shops have the attitude you have experienced. Maybe the surf shops are friendlier at the store but I find the surfers are not as welcoming in the water as divers are at local dive sites.

I guess here in the Keys we are pretty lucky. Most of the dive shops have a upbeat vibe and will go out of their way most of the time

+1 Everybody I have dealt with at dive shops in the keys, from Largo on down have been either really good or better. Super nice people at the dive shops down your way.

I think part of it depends on where your experience level is. A new diver, still lapping up everything the shop tells them about life support equipment will probably be treated fairly well by the staff. But, when the power base shifts to equality or a diver has their own way of thinking, especially if it is outside the experience of the shop staff, they will probably be treated less well. Some people can handle being small fish in a big pond and making room for others and others want to remain the big fish, even if they need to make the pond smaller by excluding others.

If the staff is comfortable saying "I don't know, but that sounds interesting, tell me more" I tend to like them more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom