The Difference Between a Dive Shop & a Surf Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've finally figured out the subtle difference between dive shops and surf shops that may be one of the keys to business success.

Surf shops respect the fact that you may or may not surf better than any of the staff. You are treated as an equal participant and the type of board you use, what draws you to surfing, and the way you express yourself in an aqueous medium is just as valid as theirs.

Dive shops do not respect the fact that you may or may not dive better than any of the staff. You are treated as an inferior participant and the type of gear you use, what draws you to diving, and the activities you enjoy are devalued if you weren't trained there or at least follow their philosophy.

While there are exceptions I believe this generalization sums up the experience as a customer.

Generalize much?

Something tells me you should be looking for a new dive shop. That's certainly not the experience my LDS (or most of the others I've been to) gives customers.

I guess here in the Keys we are pretty lucky. Most of the dive shops have a upbeat vibe and will go out of their way most of the time

The dive shop where I first learned to dive (and that I stuck with for a couple of years) developed somewhat of an elitist attitude about the equipment they sell (in which the selection had drastically diminished since I first started going there) and they started really pushing gear sales in all the wrong ways (increasing rental prices by 300% will only provoke a sale if the diver was getting ready to buy anyway, if they weren't, they'll either leave the sport or they'll leave your shop). I switched shops and now frequent a shop where the feeling I get is that they want me to be able to get the most out my diving, even if they don't sell the gear I use or I choose to take a course elsewhere. Some of the staff know me by name and others will say hi to me even outside of the shop.

I think the difference is whether the shop owner/management see you as a wallet-holder or as a customer. In big box stores, that difference isn't always obvious or important, but in small stores, like dive or surf shops, that difference can be huge.

At the same time, I work in customer service, so I understand that staff will put on a facade for customers. Just because you're like best buddies in the shop doesn't mean they'd want to spend more than 5 minutes with you outside the shop, even if it's pursuing a hobby you both enjoy.

Main Difference: Surf shop couldn't care less if you bought your board online.

I have had both experiences. In India generally the Dive shops are really nice. In Phuket, Thailand I went into a shop to buy an SMB before heading out for some vacation dives, and I got nothing but attitude from the lady (not Thai) who ran the place. She asked what regs I was going to use, I told her I had a KM Superflow regulator. She kind of insinuated I knew nothing about diving and tried to sell me Scubapro MK17's.

In LA I had the exact opposite experience at Hollywood Divers. The staff were all high caliber divers who went out of their way to help me out and never once did I feel like I was being pushed to buy anything. Just a very good positive experience. I think people who just love the ocean and love what they do generally run good, ethical businesses.

It's interesting that people also seem to feel a need to "affiliate" with a dive shop. I bet most of us have "loyalty" cards from at least a dozen different retailers selling everything from groceries to hardware to sporting goods. You never get accused of being disloyal when you pull out your Publix card by accident at a Winn-Dixie.

I've finally figured out the subtle difference between dive shops and surf shops that may be one of the keys to business success.

Surf shops respect the fact that you may or may not surf better than any of the staff. You are treated as an equal participant and the type of board you use, what draws you to surfing, and the way you express yourself in an aqueous medium is just as valid as theirs.

Dive shops do not respect the fact that you may or may not dive better than any of the staff. You are treated as an inferior participant and the type of gear you use, what draws you to diving, and the activities you enjoy are devalued if you weren't trained there or at least follow their philosophy.

While there are exceptions I believe this generalization sums up the experience as a customer.

It must be somewhat geographic....I've never seen this in South Florida or Palm Beach. i'm thinking it may be some kind of inferiority complex, for shops in areas where they can't dive frequently, and they feel they need to pretend they are in control of the resource or something...In Palm Beach, there are so many long time regular divers, that the shops would quickly figure out that many customers are better divers than they are--or at least much more experienced.
Same would be for instructors here.....in the dive industry in general, I'd say most teach in ocean more than they get to do fun dives that stretch their actual skills as divers....whereas so many of the locals get to push their envelop all the time. Not to say there are not "some instructors" here that aren't awesome in the water, just talking about the "average".

Trace, it seems it is time to get in a tank monkey's face and let him who you are and who he isn't. :)

When visiting Dive Centers in the States I get the same feeling. When I go into the shop I sometimes get the sense that they could care less. I have not been in a surf shop for years but they were always a fun place to stop by no matter how small the purchase was, even if it was just a bar of wax.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom