The Deep House on Amazon Prime

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Brant

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We watched The Deep House the other night, currently free for Prime users. It's OK, typical horror film but almost entirely shot under water. Actually that was the most interesting part of the film for me, just wondering how they got certain shots without bubbles or floating debris causing issues. There are a couple of interviews with the director and he claims the vast majority was shot practically -- minimal green screen. It's worth a watch for dive enthusiasts.

Yeah, I just watched this atrocity of a dive movie this past weekend. It was fairly watchable other than the diving aspects of the movie were nothing but wrong. The horror parts weren't really all that scary, nor did they make much sense, but that's another topic. I'm just concentrating on the diving parts here.

If you haven't seen it, you might want to just to see how far removed a dive movie can be from reality.

And to answer part of @Rick Brant's question, a bit of trivia from IMDB concerning the movie:

The directors explained in Variety (Jun 24, 2021) that "the house was built on large grids and progressively plunged into a nine-meter deep water tank that was 20 meters wide." and "We couldn't leave the whole house in the water for days at a time because the decors would have been ruined, so we would immerse only parts of the house under water, and were shooting scenes floor by floor." and "It was a risky shoot -- having the actors and some of the crew go six-meter deep was very uncommon and difficult to insure. Maury and Bustillo (the directors) were not allowed to go down there and were following the shoot across five or six monitors and four cameras."

Wait. Are you people telling me that 47 meters down wasn't shot at 47 meters down? Ridiculous! :wink: :p

Yeah, I just watched this atrocity of a dive movie this past weekend. It was fairly watchable other than the diving aspects of the movie were nothing but wrong. The horror parts weren't really all that scary, nor did they make much sense, but that's another topic. I'm just concentrating on the diving parts here.

If you haven't seen it, you might want to just to see how far removed a dive movie can be from reality.
Definitely pretty far removed from reality.

I did chuckle a bit with the multi-function Shearwater Petrel (4?) they were using. Operated as a music player wirelessly through the FFM Comms system, and was also able to control the underwater drone.

Definitely pretty far removed from reality.

I did chuckle a bit with the multi-function Shearwater Petrel (4?) they were using. Operated as a music player wirelessly through the FFM Comms system, and was also able to control the underwater drone.
Exactly. And not to mention that the only dive info it ever showed was air remaining, but not as psi or bar remaining, but as a percentage of gas remaining. No NDL or other information was displayed which would have been useful seeing as how they were in a house sitting at 100 ffw for around an hour.

Exactly. And not to mention that the only dive info it ever showed was air remaining, but not as psi or bar remaining, but as a percentage of gas remaining. No NDL or other information was displayed which would have been useful seeing as how they were in a house sitting at 100 ffw for around an hour.
Yeah, I noticed that as well. Definitely no other dive data displayed on the main screen. And apparently to advance screens, you have to tap the battery door. Telling the drone (Tom) where to go must be via neural interface.

I almost added the % gas remaining thing, but started thinking that it's not a terrible idea. My shearwater does show a bar graph to indicate a percentage. However, I don't think gas remaining as the only thing on the display is ever going to be a good idea.

I had a whole long review written to post but then removed most of it and just posted what I did above. The movie "mistakes were funny but maddening at the same time for us divers. But what is really sad is that non-divers may think that is the way diving is and won't know that most of what they show is complete nonsense. If they do decide to take up diving, they will have a rude awakening.

I had a whole long review written to post but then removed most of it and just posted what I did above. The movie "mistakes were funny but maddening at the same time for us divers. But what is really sad is that non-divers may think that is the way diving is and won't know that most of what they show is complete nonsense. If they do decide to take up diving, they will have a rude awakening.
How do you think us software engineers feel when we see an actor sit down in front of a computer? LOL

How do you think us software engineers feel when we see an actor sit down in front of a computer? LOL
Oh, I'm sure. I'm in the graphics business and I just cringe at some of the non-existent software they show, especially in like the CSI shows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom