The DC600 - My Worst Mistake Ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had to add a focus light for macro stuff. Closeup focus isn't that good.

Please explain your macro focus light. How it works, where you got it, where you put it, how you use it, etc. Thanks!

Please explain your macro focus light. How it works, where you got it, where you put it, how you use it, etc. Thanks!

The focus light mounts to the cold shoe mount on top of the DC500. It provides a beam somewhere between a spot and a flood to allow the camera to better focus-more light--better focus. The model that I have is a Fisheye Mini LED. It turns off automatically when the strobe flashes to avoid a hot spot in the photo.

I bought mine from Reef Photo & Video. I also bought an YS adapter mount for the cold shoe.

PM me if you would like more info.

You got a defective unit. Really should have sent it to Sealife (not Pioneer) right away, but good that you are now.

If you can find a 1000+ mAh battery that fits, tho - go for it.
Not sure if this helps but did you put a full charge on the battery before you used the camera. Sometimes they will "remember" the first charge and only go that far.
Aren't these Lithium Ion batteries? Should be no memory affect.

NiMH battery manufacturers like to claim they have none, but while they have less than NiCds - they do. Lithiums should not, tho. :confused:

Really should have sent it to Sealife (not Pioneer) right away, but good that you are now.

If you can find a 1000+ mAh battery that fits, tho - go for it.

Pioneer Research in Moorestown, NJ is the manufacturer of Sealife products, so they are the correct people to contact. Their phone number is 856-866-9191. I work (volunteer) with a LDS and deal with them on all Sealife issues.

I explored using a higher capacity battery with the DC500. Pioneer strongly recommended against it. As I recall it was a heat issue with the larger battery.

I've never raised the question with the DC600 or 800. Note that the battery contact configuration differs on the 500 & 600. Not sure about the 800, though I believe the 800 battery is physcially larger.

Pioneer Research in Moorestown, NJ is the manufacturer of Sealife products, so they are the correct people to contact. Their phone number is 856-866-9191. I work (volunteer) with a LDS and deal with them on all Sealife issues.

I explored using a higher capacity battery with the DC500. Pioneer strongly recommended against it. As I recall it was a heat issue with the larger battery.

I've never raised the question with the DC600 or 800. Note that the battery contact configuration differs on the 500 & 600. Not sure about the 800, though I believe the 800 battery is physcially larger.
Better company info, thanks! :thumb: Whatever my thot was at the time :confused: - while Pinoeer Research's site will refer you to the Sealife site, the addresses are the same and Pioneer does at least list a free-call number. :crafty:

And I guess if one charges the battery in the camera, then heat could indeed be a risk. I charge mine on the axillary tray, read the card on a card reader, never use the cradle for other than firmware updates. Anyway, working with them as you do would indeed give good insight, thanks.

It was interesting that Divengolf said "They replaced my 650 mAh batteries with 750s," tho. Not a big difference in power but still a bump, and they did that?
  • The SL site lists for the DC500: Lithium rechargeable included (3.7v, 650 mAh)
  • For the DC600 with different contacts: Lithium rechargeable included (3.7v, 625 mAh)
  • But for the DC800: Lithium rechargeable included (5v, 1250 mAh)
I wondered back then why bother coming out with a new model only 1 mp difference. In comparing with DC600 owners here, I'm happier with the options of the DC500, but the DC800 does sound like a nice step up.

Edit: Was just reading on the DC800 thread, saw these posts, thot I should comment here...
When did you purchase your DC600? We made an upgrade to the battery late last year and increased it from 650mAh to 700mAh. The new DC800 has a 1250mAh battery, so it's almost double the battery life.
Just reading over the DC800 discussion, and it does sound like a nice improvement over the 2 previous models, but I'd noticed that the SL site says: "Lithium rechargeable included (3.7v, 625 mAh)" for the DC600?
Just got my camera a month or so ago. I have two 700 mAh batteries and have to switch them out between dives...they do not last an entire dive, but almost. I suppose I can't get that 1250 for my 600, huh? :blinking: Guess I take too many pics...:D
That just doesn't sound like acceptable performance. You probly last longer on a tank than I do, but how many pics do you get from a battery?

Last edited:
The performance of these cameras is heavily influenced by the sleep and shutdown time options selected. I've sent Denise a PM asking about the recommended settings for the DC800. Generally they are the shortest available, or at least they were for the DC500. I'll share them or ask her to post them on this thread.

Also my recollection is that the replacement DC500 battery was 750 mAh, not 700. It originally came with a 650, but was quickly replaced by the 750. I believe the DC600 started with a 750 mAh battery with a different contact configuration. I don't believe the 600 has gone to a larger battery, but I may be wrong. Denise-HELP??

Regardless the battery is/was insufficient for the load on the 500s and 600s according to our customers. Pioneer did replace some batteries at no cost, mostly the original 650 mAh ones that came with the first DC500s.

The other thing that I found that, despite that claim that the Lithium battery did not have a hysterisis effect, I found that when I fully discharged the battery, then charged it fully, it performed better. I speaking of the DC500 750 mAh battery only.

Hopefully the 800 battery is up to the task.

The performance of these cameras is heavily influenced by the sleep and shutdown time options selected. I've sent Denise a PM asking about the recommended settings for the DC800. Generally they are the shortest available, or at least they were for the DC500. I'll share them or ask her to post them on this thread.

Also my recollection is that the replacement DC500 battery was 750 mAh, not 700. It originally came with a 650, but was quickly replaced by the 750.
I complained about short battery life when I first got mine. They did replace both, but I did not notice the upgrade at the time. The SL site on the DC500 still has 650 mAh listed, but the replacements they gave me are indeed 750s. See SeaLife Cameras - Underwater Cameras | Digital Camera Technical Specifications and it would be nice if that was updated.
I believe the DC600 started with a 750 mAh battery with a different contact configuration. I don't believe the 600 has gone to a larger battery, but I may be wrong. Denise-HELP??
The SL site for the DC600 still says 625. see SeaLife Cameras - Underwater Cameras | Digital Camera Technical Specifications so if Mrs Fic was supplied a larger replacement, it would be nice to update that site as well.

The battery size and performance differs for each SeaLife camera, so the DC800 battery and performance specifications do not apply to the DC500 or DC600.

Here are some tips on the DC500 battery performance (can also be found on our website):

Battery performance upgraded and tips to maximize battery life:
SeaLife has recently upgraded the performance of the DC500 lithium rechargeable battery from 650 mAh to 750mAh. A freshly charged battery should yield about 1 hour of use or approximately 100 pictures depending on how you use the camera and conserve battery power. It is helpful to have a spare battery as back-up. A DC500 Spare Battery (item # SL1514) is available at your local SeaLife Dealer.

Here are some tips to maximize battery life:
1. Make sure the battery initially charges overnight (minimum 8 hours). Then, the battery must be fully discharged through normal use prior to the next complete charge. This only needs to be done the first time the battery is charged.
2. Set the power save setting (sleep mode) from 2 minutes to 30seconds. This setting is located under the set-up mode menu. The camera will go to sleep in 30 seconds and preserve battery power. Push any button to wake up the camera. The camera will turn off in 3 minutes if no buttons are pushed. Press the power button to turn on the camera.
3. Keep the camera power off as much as possible.

I got to hand it to Sea Life and Denise. They seem to really want happy customers. I had problems with battery compartment in my dual strobes from DC600 and she sent 2 new ones out to me.

Kudos to the team of Sea Life. Too many times your stuck holding the bag. As well as too many times people complain but never let others know when a great job is being done.

THANKS
Jill

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom