The cruise ships are back !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4kafka

Contributor
Reaction score
Noticed a large cruise ship moored when viewing the El Cid LaCeiba Beach webcam this morning.

ABC News is reporting the arrival Wednesday, June 16th of the Royal Caribbean Nassau-based cruise ship, Adventure of the Seas. This is the first cruise ship with passengers to arrive on Cozumel since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic in 2020.

1012.jpg

From what I recall of discussions about North American cruising, here's a basic summary as it pertains to Caribbean region cruising:

1.) The CDC, considered by some over-conservative, has essentially shut down U.S. cruising for a long time, even though some foreign cruising has been going well.
2.) I'll ignore the Alaska cruise market, as some things have been happening there that, while interesting, don't involve visits to Cozumel.
3.) The cruise lines have 2 main paths to restart cruising; a direct route requiring 95% of passengers and 98% of crew (IIRC), or a test cruise path. For lines that traditionally have a lot of kids, the current lack of access to vaccines for kids under 12 years old is an issue in the U.S.
4.) Royal Caribbean did switch Adventure of the Seas to a Bahamas port, removing it from U.S. jurisdiction, but restarting the Florida cruise market is key to a strong return to cruising.

So, yes, Adventure of the Seas made an appearance, but we're still not likely to see the cruise piers loaded for awhile yet.

k4kafka, I'm intrigued.....always thought it would be interesting to dive down there!
Yes,it was rather other-worldly seeing those gigantic concrete pier pilings…
You might ask your boat captain if he dares to go there before the big ships arrive once again en masse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom