The cost of incremental improvement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does an "upgrade" from Jet fins to a scooter count? ... if so, the additional layout is in the order of $5k+ to get what I'd really like :D

That said, I'm very (very) picky when I buy gear, so I've been fortunate that I really like most of my gear. I would like to upgrade my MK10/G250 deco regs to Apeks DS4/XTX50 - mostly to minimize the number of parts I need to stock for service. But since the MK10/G250s breathe as well as my Apeks primary regs, it's hard to justify the 2 x ~$500 for an upgrade.

I've also been drooling over the Santi drysuits, but again, the sizable cost to "upgrade/side-grade" from my DUI FLX Extreme is just not in the cards until I win the lottery - which will be any day now ... :)

Henrik
If I recall you are now in SA? I struggle to get my Apeks serviced here and have to double the cost compared to SP. If I can I would sell all my Apeks kit (make no mistake they are very nice) and replace with SP.

If I recall you are now in SA? I struggle to get my Apeks serviced here and have to double the cost compared to SP. If I can I would sell all my Apeks kit (make no mistake they are very nice) and replace with SP.

I'm in NM, and I don't know what the service situation is around here. I've started servicing my own old SP regs - not that difficult if you take your time, and not terribly expensive in parts either. At some point I'll get the courage up to dig in to my Apeks regs as well :) I test my regulators often, and would catch any changes or inconsistencies, and of course service the reg at that point. But until then, for me - I think the mandatory annual service may be overkill.

But shy of selling regs you like (if you're selling cheap I'm all ears :wink:), why not contact some of the very reputable shops elsewhere and ship the regs out for service?

Henrik

I will confess it . . . I have a lot of dive gear. I have a fair amount of dive gear which replaced other dive gear I bought. I bought the original stuff because I thought I liked it, and I replaced it because I found something I thought I liked better.

Recently, I have run into two "I think I'll like it better" issues where I haven't been willing to pull the trigger on replacing what I have. With one of them, I WOULD do it if I could sell what I have now (which I haven't been able to). With the other, the incremental cost of upgrading, even after selling what I have, would be over $1000 -- and I just can't come up with a justification for why the new product is THAT much better than what I'm using.

So I'm wondering . . . for those of you out there who are lusting after some piece of dive gear you think would make life better, what's the financial penalty that's stopping you from getting what you think you really want?
Ditto....Have a storage closet full of gear [every thing from A-Z] I tried, once or twice, didn't do what I had hoped and just put it away until some one mentions 'WTB'.....Always up-grading, selling or trading.....Part of being a 'dive junkie'......

Wondering about replacing my recently purchased use bare drysuit with a Santi suit made to measure. Only 3k. I am really enjoying diving dry, but a suit that fit better would make me happier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I've taken to measuring everything in life in "Mexico cave trip" units. About $2500 will get me and Peter to MX for a week. So the light is most of a Mexico trip unit, which puts it in a bit of perspective.

I put things in similar contexts, "how much longer will I have to work if I buy this scooter/can light/dry suit/doodad rather than investing it and retiring young enough to enjoy not having a scooter/can light/dry suit/doodad". It's a balance.

I will confess it . . . I have a lot of dive gear. I have a fair amount of dive gear which replaced other dive gear I bought. I bought the original stuff because I thought I liked it, and I replaced it because I found something I thought I liked better.

Recently, I have run into two "I think I'll like it better" issues where I haven't been willing to pull the trigger on replacing what I have. With one of them, I WOULD do it if I could sell what I have now (which I haven't been able to). With the other, the incremental cost of upgrading, even after selling what I have, would be over $1000 -- and I just can't come up with a justification for why the new product is THAT much better than what I'm using.

So I'm wondering . . . for those of you out there who are lusting after some piece of dive gear you think would make life better, what's the financial penalty that's stopping you from getting what you think you really want?

Well, I've been a member for almost... an hour, but I've just got to chime in.

So what does diving a fairly new SCUBAPRO Nighthawk w/AIR2 with a perfectly maintained 1987 Sherwood Oasis primary (that appears to work with EAN36), along with a Aladdin AIR Z Nitox mean?

In my mind, I'm a man who needs nothing (but a camera).

Al

I'm as bad as it gets, I've owned 6 to 8 BC's in the last several years. Switch between BPW's and several types of softpacs (Dive Rite, Apeks WTX, OMS, Deep Seas Supply). Also have a problem with buying too many regs. In the last 5 years I've owned Atomics ST1, B2, T2x, Apeks Tunsgten, Black Pearl, Aqualung Legend and currently Legend Lux (sweet). I will say most of my purchases come from SB, Ebay, Deco Stop and rarly buy brand new full price. I have sold many of the items for the same price I paid for them. Alot of people are scared to buy used, but I have found great deals and never had a problem. I is a sickness..

Lights are my weakness. The LED technology keeps advancing and the price for the nice handhelds is cheap enough to impulse buy. So now I have about 8-10, each one progressively brighter and better. I recycle the old ones into household emergency kits and such.

The other stuff is too expensive to upgrade and the improvements are very small, so I wait for it to break, which takes a really long time.

The funny thing with my searches and purchases, I use the same wetsuits for many years and rarely change computers. Let a mew a new fancy cool reg or BC out and I just lust over it. So I am very selective with my addiction. Are many on the board using Ebay and such to buy used equipment?

I'm as bad as it gets, I've owned 6 to 8 BC's in the last several years. Switch between BPW's and several types of softpacs (Dive Rite, Apeks WTX, OMS, Deep Seas Supply). Also have a problem with buying too many regs. In the last 5 years I've owned Atomics ST1, B2, T2x, Apeks Tunsgten, Black Pearl, Aqualung Legend and currently Legend Lux (sweet). I will say most of my purchases come from SB, Ebay, Deco Stop and rarly buy brand new full price. I have sold many of the items for the same price I paid for them. Alot of people are scared to buy used, but I have found great deals and never had a problem. I is a sickness..

I have a used Atomic T1 din for sale, make an offer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom