The Conga Line w/ Bulls, Blacktips, GG's, and turtle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He came much closer and I was able to see the black though I wasn't able to snap a pic. I also double, double checked it with my Humann books.

Tracey, I'd have to agree with Johnny, there are only two species of sharks in florida waters with that perticular profile, the bull shark and the sandbar (both having a large dorsal fin that starts even with the insertion of the pectoral fin). The blacktip's dorsal starts posterior to the pectoral fin. Black tips are not uncommon on younger bull sharks. The defining characteristic of the sandbar is an interdorsal ridge between the first and second dorsal fins which you could only tell by a physical exam.

Tracey, I'd have to agree with Johnny, there are only two species of sharks in florida waters with that perticular profile, the bull shark and the sandbar (both having a large dorsal fin that starts even with the insertion of the pectoral fin). The blacktip's dorsal starts posterior to the pectoral fin. Black tips are not uncommon on younger bull sharks. The defining characteristic of the sandbar is an interdorsal ridge between the first and second dorsal fins which you could only tell by a physical exam.

Man was this bugging me - wanted to know for sure. Blew the pic up as much as possible - not really any help for positive id. I did find there was a funny looking fish with a yellow tail on the shark's his side swimming with him, which I hadn't see before. I'd do the physical exam if he'd be sure to show up next time I'm in the water... :idk: :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom