The CCR One Year Later - Some Random Thoughts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know I bumping an old thread. I just think rebreathers offer too much risk and not enough reward. More power to you if you feel comfortable taking those risks, but I wonder if some realize those risks. I remember a member here named bigjetdriver I believe he died due to a failure on a rebreather a few years ago.

Maybe in the future there will be a system that can have less risks. One thing goes wrong and it could be all over. I guess to each their own.

I just think rebreathers offer too much risk and not enough reward.
The title of this thread was One Year later... Now it's almost two years later, and a blanket statement like, "I just think rebreathers offer too much risk and not enough reward." is, IMHO, too simplistic.

ECCR diving can add additional complications in easy shallow diving as compared to OC diving, no doubt. But if you're doing any kind of advanced diving - deco, overhead, any dive where running off to the surface is not a viable option - then the CCR offers a far wider array of possibilities for safely dealing with potential issues.

CCR's require meticulous care, maintenance and preparation, verses just tossing on a tank and going diving, so it's not for everyone. But if you're a fit for this type of diving, and willing to accept the additional responsibilities, then I believe the CCR is actually a safer option (again, especially it your are doing more advanced diving). The problem comes when people expect to dive the more complicated rigs without accepting the additional dive / pre-dive / post-dive responsibilities.

CCR diving is perfect for gear geeks. For me half the fun of diving is playing with my gear. I bought my CCR used, in poor condition, and re-built it from the top down. I really know my kit. I still enjoy taking something apart and fiddling with it, rebuilding it, fine tuning it. No one else on the planet knows my kit like I do, and no one else would take as good care of it.

CCR diving isn't for everyone. But if it's a "fit" for the personality of the diver and the type of diving he/she is doing, then there are absolutely benefits to rebreather diving, including additional safety options. The problem is when someone not matched to this type of diving does it. It's not for the lazy diver, the poorly trained, those who cannot multitask well, people in a hurry, or anyone not willing to treat their unit with the care and respect that is required. Nothing wrong with that! Sometimes I just want an easy, uncomplicated, lazy dive, and tossing on a single AL80 can be the perfect option. Or if I'm not in the mood to put in the effort required to safely do a CCR dive, then I'll do something else, like go to a movie, like Sanctum or something. :eyebrow:

I remember a member here named bigjetdriver I believe he died due to a failure on a rebreather a few years ago.

The death of Rob Davies was an absolute tragedy. Any time someone dies while diving, whether on open circuit, rebreather, free diving, whatever... whether it's a recreational dive or technical dive, it's a tragedy for the friends and family that person leaves behind. Things can and sometimes do go wrong in any type of recreational activity. And I believe in analyzing the event and learning from it, for the safety of all. But a blanket statement like, Rebreather diving isn't worth the additional risks, because so-and-so died while diving one, is like looking at only the tail of an elephant and thinking you understand the entire beast.

I do not think, in general, rebreathers add additional risks, just addition complications. But if dealing with those complications is not your bag, then yes, diving one would be a riskier venture for you. But if you're right for that kind of diving, the CCR not only opens up a buffet of diving opportunities, it's about the most fun and the most satisfying diving you can do - both in and out of the water. At least it has been for me.

That's my opinion so far (couple hundred CCR dives down to a max depth of 330'). I'll let you know what I think next year. :D

Rick, I respect your decision, but disagree with you. To me, a lot of divers push the envelope with gear and certain dives that adds a lot of risks to dives. It's all good until something goes wrong. Like I said, I think it's a slippery slope and a dangerous one at that. Recreational diving has some risks like all things in life, but there are times people go too far, IMHO.. I've seen this in other sports as well. Rock climbers who start out small then go to bigger and more challenging climbs, then they don't want to use rope at all.. they free climb, they want the freedom it offers.

Skydivers who get bored and start base jumping then progress to wingsuits. Then the guys want to start swooping by cliff faces at 100mph as close as they can get. That to me is where I see rebreathers in the dive insdustry. They want to get a rebreather do super deep dives and really push the limits. It may be fine the first 1,000 times, but it only takes one bad outing for it to end. Then when it all goes bad a lot of people are scratching their heads. Not me, I know what happened, they just kept pushing until it took their life. If one thing goes bad on a rebreather then it can be game over. I'm sorry, but that's too much risk for me. If you're willing to do that then I honestly hope it works out.

No hard feelings, but I think people need to realize the risks. You get one life and that's it. Recreational diving offers me plenty of joy with minimal risks. I understand you have to take risks in life and that's why I dive. However, you won't find me pushing it like others. I want to return home after my dive trip. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but it's how I feel. I wouldn't say anything if I didn't care about people.

Rick, I respect your decision, but disagree with you...No hard feelings... I wouldn't say anything if I didn't care about people.
Sounds good to me. :)

Rick, I respect your decision, but disagree with you. To me, a lot of divers push the envelope with gear and certain dives that adds a lot of risks to dives. It's all good until something goes wrong. Like I said, I think it's a slippery slope and a dangerous one at that. Recreational diving has some risks like all things in life, but there are times people go too far, IMHO.. I've seen this in other sports as well. Rock climbers who start out small then go to bigger and more challenging climbs, then they don't want to use rope at all.. they free climb, they want the freedom it offers.

Skydivers who get bored and start base jumping then progress to wingsuits. Then the guys want to start swooping by cliff faces at 100mph as close as they can get. That to me is where I see rebreathers in the dive insdustry. They want to get a rebreather do super deep dives and really push the limits. It may be fine the first 1,000 times, but it only takes one bad outing for it to end. Then when it all goes bad a lot of people are scratching their heads. Not me, I know what happened, they just kept pushing until it took their life. If one thing goes bad on a rebreather then it can be game over. I'm sorry, but that's too much risk for me. If you're willing to do that then I honestly hope it works out.

No hard feelings, but I think people need to realize the risks. You get one life and that's it. Recreational diving offers me plenty of joy with minimal risks. I understand you have to take risks in life and that's why I dive. However, you won't find me pushing it like others. I want to return home after my dive trip. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but it's how I feel. I wouldn't say anything if I didn't care about people.
I think that anyone that has taken a class and is certified to dive a rebreather realizes the risks. Your argument could be used for any number of motor sports enthusiasts as well as most recreational divers. This thread was started by Rick as a reflection of his experience with his CCR. There's no place for the comments you've made here. If you want to trash rebreathers and rebreather divers start your own thread.

Rick:

Thanks for your post(s). I'm in year 4 on a RB, after almost 4 times that long on OC, and find I couldn't (or wouldn't) do without it now.

I think most people realize when their diving profiles are at the point that the benefits of a RB make sense. I wouldn't be doing 6 hour - solo - RB cave dives if I considered my unit "unsafe." (Yes, I'm aware of how RBs operate.) Diving, deep-diving, hypoxic-mix diving, wreck diving, cave diving, solo diving, etc., all carry their own risks, and each of us weighs what they mean to us before we dive. So, "safe" is a relative term in diving.

Thanks again for your insights,

This was a fun read. So many things on the original list struck me as funny, or true. I am not a RB diver, but have spent 2 days on a Meg in a training environment, and have played with the KISS, and other units.

Many of my dive buddies when I was diving regularly were RB divers. I think RB divers with OC buddies really need to take some time and educate them on some basics. Like how to check setpoints, how to get you to OC if necessary, how to close your loop, etc. I took part of a RB course SPECIFICALLY because I had so many RB buddies and wanted to understand it better.

I can totally understand the appeal of the RB to those doing more complex dives. At one point, I felt I'd go that way myself, but have since changed my mind. I do find the comments about the "lack of safety" do be somewhat misplaced, but most people who make such statements are generally quite unfamiliar with the units.

And while some may certainly disagree, I've known several RB divers who've perished with RBs on their backs, but I don't know a single one who's perished while following basic safety protocols, and been diving a properly prepared rig. Missing o-rings... old sorb leading to breakthrough, failed oxygen sensors, unwillingness to leave the loop, diving solo, etc.

I know I bumping an old thread. I just think rebreathers offer too much risk and not enough reward. More power to you if you feel comfortable taking those risks, but I wonder if some realize those risks. I remember a member here named bigjetdriver I believe he died due to a failure on a rebreather a few years ago.

Maybe in the future there will be a system that can have less risks. One thing goes wrong and it could be all over. I guess to each their own.

As nice and politically correct as I can be: Get the facts on this. Of course, you did use the word "believe." News reporters often use "alleged."

PM on the way.

I certainly didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. I'm not trying to slam rebreathers, but I do think they are dangerous. I certainly didn't mean to hijack the thread. I apologize, Rick.

Back
Top Bottom