The cave divers who went back for their friends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was part of what confused me my first time watching, and my only complaint about the film. They didn't do a great job of laying out the timeline of the original dive. In the original dive, where the two divers were lost, both groups left from the same location (the frozen lake), 2 or 3 hours apart. In the recovery dive, the two groups left from opposite ends, one from the lake and one from the cave.

Ty for clearing that up. I think i have to see it again sometime :)

In the article they say that the 2nd group did follow the first one after 2 Hours. Its been a while since i saw the movie but didn’t the 2nd group enter from the other side?

Beside what @Rollin Bonz pointed out, during the original dive the first group started from the lake entrance. The second group first went to the cave entrance on land to lay down equipment and then came back, still on land, to start the dive from the lake entrance, same as the first group. They planned to follow after a couple of hours to gear up and let any possible silt to settle.

Beside what @Rollin Bonz pointed out, during the original dive the first group started from the lake entrance. The second group first went to the cave entrance on land to lay down equipment and then came back, still on land, to start the dive from the lake entrance, same as the first group. They planned to follow after a couple of hours to gear up and let any possible silt to settle.

Yeah, couldn't remember what caused the confusion, but that's it. The second team's visit to the cave must have been what initially led me to think they entered from opposite sides on the first dive. Makes sense, but they were just placing equipment in the cave for the planned return trip the next day. Now I want to watch it again too...

Yeah, couldn't remember what caused the confusion, but that's it. The second team's visit to the cave must have been what initially led me to think they entered from opposite sides on the first dive. Makes sense, but they were just placing equipment in the cave for the planned return trip the next day. Now I want to watch it again too...
So both groups were going to do the first dive from the lake, get to the cave, stay overnight in the cave, and then do the whole dive in the opposite direction the next day? I'm trying to figure out their whole plan for the original dive. Is that what "planned return trip the next day" means, a dive in the opposite direction beginning from the cave instead of the lake?

In addition to the routing/timeline as Rollin Bonz previously complained, the original plan wasn't made particularly clear in the movie either. I just watched it twice in the past few days on Netflix. Multiple views were needed to better understand what happened - in addition to being a fascinating movie worth watching more than once if you're a diver!

I'm a total novice "vacation" diver, certified many years ago but with only 4 open water dives under my belt. Perhaps some of you experienced divers can answer this question:

The movie about these Finnish divers recovering their friends said that some of those divers had recently just charted out that underwater course between the Plura pond and the cave. They had discovered it and were diving it again to film the whole route when the two divers died.

How are underwater caves like this charted out in the first place? How does a diver not know that they won't hit a dead end somewhere, not be able to get back, and die down there? The length of this route in Norway between the Plura pond and the cave was INSANE long and deep. How on earth did the Finnish divers figure out that they could get between the two through the cave system and how many dives would something like that take?

I guess I'm looking for a little info on how a cave diver goes about safely discovering new territory.

I'm a total novice "vacation" diver, certified many years ago but with only 4 open water dives under my belt. Perhaps some of you experienced divers can answer this question:

The movie about these Finnish divers recovering their friends said that some of those divers had recently just charted out that underwater course between the Plura pond and the cave. They had discovered it and were diving it again to film the whole route when the two divers died.

How are underwater caves like this charted out in the first place? How does a diver not know that they won't hit a dead end somewhere, not be able to get back, and die down there? The length of this route in Norway between the Plura pond and the cave was INSANE long and deep. How on earth did the Finnish divers figure out that they could get between the two through the cave system and how many dives would something like that take?

I guess I'm looking for a little info on how a cave diver goes about safely discovering new territory.

Check out some of these videos...

EXPLORATION | UNDER THE JUNGLE

, stay overnight in the cave,

I think they were going to stay in the farm house near the cave IIRC

Back
Top Bottom