The burn! (Negativity towards tech divers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once had an extremely funny interaction with a nice man at one of our local sites. He came up saying his buddy was a no-show, and asking if he could dive with us. We said yes, and I gave him a little information about who I was and what my diving experience was (I think I had about 150 dives at that point, in a year and a half).

He proceeded, in a very gentle and kind manner, to explain to me that the fins I was using were very old fins, and I would be much happier with more modern, split ones; he also told me he found it hard to believe that I had over 100 dives and hadn't started using a pony bottle yet. I just smiled and thanked him for his input. We went diving. He went home. I have not seen him again.

So have you started using a pony bottle yet?

Reactions: Jax
I once had an extremely funny interaction with a nice man at one of our local sites. He came up saying his buddy was a no-show, and asking if he could dive with us. We said yes, and I gave him a little information about who I was and what my diving experience was (I think I had about 150 dives at that point, in a year and a half).

He proceeded, in a very gentle and kind manner, to explain to me that the fins I was using were very old fins, and I would be much happier with more modern, split ones; he also told me he found it hard to believe that I had over 100 dives and hadn't started using a pony bottle yet. I just smiled and thanked him for his input. We went diving. He went home. I have not seen him again.

When I was in Key Largo last summer, I was with a group of friends and the group dove had arrangements to dive with "dive op X"... I had arranged separately to dive with Key Largo Dive Center a couple of days, because I wanted to be able to hit multiple wrecks vs. the typical wreck/reef arrangement...and because I don't really like the larger boats. You can imagine how happy I was that I made that choice, when the first day with dive op x, the *captain* of the boat we were on made several comments about the "archaic" nature of my fins! I mean, really? I'm not sure why people feel the need?!?!

When I was in Key Largo last summer, I was with a group of friends and the group dove had arrangements to dive with "dive op X"... I had arranged separately to dive with Key Largo Dive Center a couple of days, because I wanted to be able to hit multiple wrecks vs. the typical wreck/reef arrangement...and because I don't really like the larger boats. You can imagine how happy I was that I made that choice, when the first day with dive op x, the *captain* of the boat we were on made several comments about the "archaic" nature of my fins! I mean, really? I'm not sure why people feel the need?!?!

Just tell them that you're waiting until you wear a crack down the center like theirs...

Almost every post so far has related stories in which people we dive with show ignorance of our equipment and procedures. That is certainly understandable--even to be expected. I have not seen many responses related to the OP's comments about negativity, though. As I said in my first post, I have not experienced a glimmer of that.

Almost every post so far has related stories in which people we dive with show ignorance of our equipment and procedures. That is certainly understandable--even to be expected. I have not seen many responses related to the OP's comments about negativity, though. As I said in my first post, I have not experienced a glimmer of that.

I may not have been clear; the captain was not ignorant; he was being very disparaging. No skin off my nose, I didn't really care what he thought, but it was beyond my understanding why someone who had a tip jar on his boat would feel the need to express such an opinion. :idk:

I've probably had a few negative encounters, but mostly I can't hear them over my awesomeness :wink:

In all seriousness, if the folks are negative before they even know you, then why bother wasting any time on them, as in thinking about or talking to? There are too many fun divers out there that have themselves squared away and still know how to smile and laugh to worry about turds.

You forgot the picture:

Kirk.jpg

Cam,

I have not noticed the negativity(yet).

I would "assume" it is out of jealousy or ignorance. More likely the latter.

If someone is unhappy with tech divers, they are going to have to deal with it somehow.

I see more and more tech divers locally, especially at Gilboa. I was recently on the dock at Gilboa alongside 3 divers using rebreathers.

I WILL say this though..the tech divers I have met have been VERY welcoming to me as a dive bud. Considering I still have a jacket BC and an old AL80.

They seem happy as hell to shlep along with me on the shallow side of the quarry! Usually after they have done a deep dive in the AM. They are always willing to share information.

Lynne: I loved the story of the split fins guy. Ya just gotta laugh.

I have run into it on occasion, but not so much divers as Dive Shops!. We ran into it in Jacksonville FL last year at two shops, and the locals here (3 of them anyway) are against it. Most of stems from ignorance or the fact they can't provide the training or service us; therefor it is bad.

Dale

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom