The big 5-0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Yesterday I went out with my brother to Breakwater to get in my 49th and 50th dive since my return to diving. My camera is still with Sea&Sea so pictures from me. He took his camera but the battery died half way through the second dive.

For the first dive we went to the Metridium Field and swam in along the pipe. The metridums were wide open and the vis around was about 15-20 ft. On the way in we saw this nudibranch seemly falling through the water column. At first I thought it was just a leaf but as I got closer I could see it was an animal by its behavior. Then I realized what it was

PIC_0953.JPG

#49: 51 mins, 53 ft max, 24 average, 54 degrees at depth

For the second dive I was thinking about doing the wall but we were parked on the pump house side of the parking lot and really didn't want to walk over there. I had heard there is some stuff to see in the middle area but no idea where it was. So we decided we'd walk out almost directly from the bottom of the ramp. We swam to a group of kelp and dropped down. We did some exploration making a zig-zag pattern going N/NW/W until we hit the wall. We then followed the wall in until I saw some shrimp attached to a line at which point we quickly moved away from the wall and headed in. We ended up coming in at the steps.

Along the way we saw more of those nudis plus some other smaller ones. Lots and lots of those stringy egg sacs all over the place. Some some large crabs and some tiny crabs. One way just chillin under the kelp and one was out in plain sight but blended into the sand.

The kelp was really cool both dives. Several times it got really dark and you could tell the surface had to be covered with kelp. It was like I was swimming through a thick forest.

Either there are more creatures out not or I'm getting better at noticing them.

#50: 50 mins, 36 max depth, 19 ft average, 52 degrees at depth.

These were the second set of dives on my 119s and they provided plenty of gas. I also dove with the pony bottle I got. The first dive I had it mounted on the right side of my tank. The thing caused me to rotate to my right. Was kinda fun though as I could just lay on my side and easily watch my brother taking photos.

During the SI we got the tanks filled at MBDC and I picked up a sling. I decided to try a suggestion from another board member and just clip the top clip to my hip d-ring. Worked pretty well. The tank ended up floating under me and laying just under the gut. Will be testing out other sling methods over the next few dives.

Sweet! Make sure you post again after the century mark!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom