"The Best." Oxygen Analyzer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is there a possibility you may go ccr in the future? if so, it might be handy to have an analyzer that shares sensors so you have a use for the cells you rotate out
The only one that can readily take a CCR sensor is the el cheapo - because the cells aren't fitted into a case at all and you can make whatever adapter you need. Pretty much every CCR (there are a couple exceptions) uses 9-13 mV sensors which work with the el cheapo

MSA miniOX 3000.

Cheap on ebay. Self calibration at power on. Sensors readily available. Alarm feature is nice.

I use these for analyzing tanks, as well as my compressor. I have one on the nitrox stick leading into the compressor, and one downstream of my filter stack attached to an old first stage and flow limiter. (Along with a carbon monoxide sensor: continuous CO monitoring FTW...)

As a permanently installed part of my compressor, I like it a lot. I’ve even wired up a 9 V power supply for them, so I just leave them on all the time. For analyzing tanks, it gets old: having to power it up, do the calibration, then analyze tanks can take a while. I like the fact that, for my setup, everything is consistent and interchangeable, but I’m not sure I’d recommend it as a go-to analyzer if all you want to do is analyze tanks.

Hello Boston Breaker,

Check nuvair.com and look at the 02 Quickstick, the new model is green in color.
I love mine.

Rose
I will second this post. Have had really good luck with mine as well. Saw them being used on a liveaboard a few years ago and figured if they could stand up to being used every single day multiple times then it would be plenty good enough for me.

Hello Boston Breaker,

Check nuvair.com and look at the 02 Quickstick, the new model is green in color.
I love mine.

Rose
I do like that form factor. Have you had to replace a sensor yet? Just wondering if it is simple or a chore.

I do like that form factor. Have you had to replace a sensor yet? Just wondering if it is simple or a chore.
I will chime in that I have not had to replace mine yet but the supposed ease of replacement factored into my purchase decision. It looks pretty straightforward.

There's no real magic to o2 analyzers, they basically convert a millivolt output from an O2 cell to a number that makes sense and have a rheostat to allow for calibration. For years, my solution was simply an oxygen sensor, flow restrictor, volt meter, and calculator. If I was buying a brand new O2 analyzer, I'd probably just get the El Cheapo and be done with it.

is there a possibility you may go ccr in the future? if so, it might be handy to have an analyzer that shares sensors so you have a use for the cells you rotate out
Replied as a P.M.
Cheers.

I rely on the expertise of my LDS, I check with their equipment and before screwing on a first stage I check with an el cheapo analyser.
You say you dive at remote locations but do you fill your tanks at unknown and remote locations too?

I rely on the expertise of my LDS, I check with their equipment and before screwing on a first stage I check with an el cheapo analyser.
You say you dive at remote locations but do you fill your tanks at unknown and remote locations too?

Hello. "I rely on the expertise of my LDS." I get that.....but, even so, in black, and white, it not only sounds scary, but looks scary. Sorry. just my opinion. Divers/People in the Industry regardless of the role being played, even a thousand times....make mistakes. I was taught to analyse before every dive. I like you, check with their equipment. I do not always get fills, and go diving, sometimes it may be days. I've had % stickers come off in the past, Etc. I am merely looking for an O2 analyzer that is portable, (Hence the O.P.) so I can check the contents of the bottles moments before I submerge, and remove any doubt. Not doing so could be costly, as most of us know. To answer your question.....No, I do not get fills remotely. Ultimately, regardless of anyone's routine, or gas checking practices, this is for "My." peace of mind." I solo dive quite often, this is just another way for me to be safe, and I'm usually very steadfast in my approach.
I am looking for recommendations. As of this writing leaning towards the "Expedition," or "El cheapo."
Cheers.
Normalization of Deviance

Back
Top Bottom