The best no frills Computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveDog

Contributor
Reaction score
What does anyone think is the best economy no frills computer that gets the job done. Also why you think so, how much it costs and where to buy it. This will save me alot of work. Gotta love these boards.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Although I am a newbie to the sport and to ALL the available equipment, I feel that the Cochran "Captian" was a good product for the money. It was under the $200.00 range and it seems to do most all the necessary functions that my wife's Vipor does at 1/5th the cost. Sure,it's not as sleek looking and the box was not as impressive, but as the two of us go down the guide rope the numbers read out the same, and after all .... what's really important!
Phil

The best economy no frills computer that gets the job done? What job? Do you need nitrox? Do you want an air-integrated computer? Since you said no frills, I guess that's "no" on both. Genesis Resource or Oceanic Versa are good; around $200 online, and I believe both are made by Pelagic. Rodale's just recommended the Resource as an entry-level computer.

Also, do you prefer a wrist mount, or console? Do you plan on getting into more technical diving in the future? Do you want this computer to last you a while? If so, the Suunto Vyper is about $100 (est) more than the others, but adds nitrox capabilities, and can be used in gauge mode.

I've done plenty of dives on the Resource.. nice computer.

Nice in a console, cumbersome for a wrist computer.

Read what sumguy said above. Also, the Oceanic Versa can be had in wrist or console mount. The Versa Pro is also nitrox capable. It's at Leisurepro.com for $279.95. The Versa is somewhat cheaper. Great computers. Moxie

No frills here. They don't waste space with tons of bar graphs that don't mean a thing. Just current depth, depth, dive time and NDL. It automatically starts when it gets wet. Logs about ten dives and has two simple to use push buttons for Log and Plan. Computers like suunto and oceanic have confusing buttons and uncontroled scrolls. You spend all your time waiting on the info you need to come back around.

I bought mine 5 years ago, have 500 dives on it and have yet to change the battery. I paid about $270 back then.

A Dive Rite dealer should have it or be able to get it.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom