The best BCD for women!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're only ever going to dive recreationally the Diverite Transpac is pretty good.

If you are considering BP/W, its important to know that the size of the BP matters, especially if you're small built.

One size fit all BPs might not work for you. It has to fit the size of your back.

I am a recreational diver, and I really love my Zeagle Lazer. It has a smaller torso for women, but has more pockets and adjustability than the Zena. But it really does come down to fit. You want something that becomes your 'second skin' down there!

However I know many female divers who like the Aqualung Pearl as it has a sort of sports bra across the chest. It provides more comfort and support than a traditional chest strap design, which can often dig in. It is also cut higher on the hips for a better fit.
I bought a Pearl for my girlfriend last year. The sports bra idea seemed novel and a great idea. However, my girlfriend never found the Pearl comfortable and I sold it after a few dives. The Pearl is a lightweight BCD, I believe it had less than 20 lbs of lift. My girlfriend prefers a back inflate instead of a jacket BCD. Definitely recommend trying on different brands and styles for best fit!

I know this is a personal decision, but I really like my Libra. I had an older jacket style BCD for a couple of years and never realized how much it was constricting me on the surface (it made shore diving, and occasional surface swims from shore, tiring!) until I switched to the back inflate style. I have a larger chest so I simply removed the chest straps that came with the Libra, which I assume you can do with many other models, if this is a point of constriction for you.

I have had two "women's BCs" in the last 20 years. Aqualung Libra - passed onto my sister who is still using it and Scubapro Ladyhawk. both now have the tank band buckle that snaps closed (adjust once for your tank and never adjust again) both are low profile, rear inflation with rear trim weight pockets and they have both give me tons of use with zero maintenance besides a rinse after diving.

I like the aqualung sure lock weight pocket system better but I love my Ladyhawk, it feels like home when I wear it.

I recommend the Diverite Transpac (classic or XT) with Travel wing. Snug, comfy, stylish and hassle free. Dives neutral (wont force you to be horizontal to the floor). Easy to pack too. Cons? Takes some time to dry.

I've been very happy with my Ladyhawk also. Now, you have a list of bcds to try because as many have said, it's got to be right for you. Make sure you try them all in the pool before buying. That's how I ended up with a Ladyhawk and not a bp/wing. :)

I think the key is that it should be comfortable and really snug around your torso.
I hate, hate, hate the way men's BCDs ride up around your neck and shoulders on the surface. The cummerbund always ended up under my boobs instead of around my waist or hips. Yuck! For this reason, I never use rental BCDs.
The Zena works for me. It's held snugly in place all the way from your sternum to your hips. Once I get underwater a bit and my wetsuit (and bioprene) are compressed, I snug it down and I'm good to go for the rest of the dive.
The Zena doesn't have much pocket space, but it does have two straps on each side that you can use to attach things. I bought a larger pocket and added it to one hip strap, and added a D ring (to clip off the console) and a pouch with EMT shears on the other hip strap. On the chest strap on the other side I have my little line cutter. It also has two straps in the back on the tank, so I have trim pickets on the top strap on each side, and a D ring on one of the bottom straps for the SMB and reel. So in the end, it's pretty easy to configure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom